December 30, 2011
How Do You Know A Cream Works?
Here’s a checklist of ways to determine if a cream will work for you:
- Ask a friend…not every product will work on every skin but if your friend has seen improvement, this is a good way to start.
- Know what ingredients you are sensitive to… If you have a product reaction, you can’t expect to see benefits.
- Learn to read an ingredient list…Anti-aging formulas should contain many active ingredients such as milk or fruit acid, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and wound healing botanicals.
- Use samples…You need to use for 2 weeks to start to see some improvements. Real skin changes take 4 weeks or more to develop.
- Listen to your skin…If there is some characteristic of a formula that makes you “love” it, this is your skin telling you that this formula is great for you.
Summary: Become a skin detective. Know your skin, test samples out, look into the “clues” your skin gives you, be patient and consistent in taking care of your skin.
December 29, 2011
TIPS FOR GLAMOROUS LOOKS ON NEW YEAR’S EVE
The night to dress-to-impress is approaching, ladies. And we know you will all look your very best as we enter into the New Year. So we thought we would bring you a few tips on looking extra chic, glam and sophisticated on the special night!
When it comes to picking a festive outfit, you can either bring your shimmer and shine to the party with an all-sequin dress or go with classic colors that you can pair with glamorous statement jewelry.
One of this season’s most popular trends have been shiny, flowing fabrics; be it glitter, sequins or metallic hues. All-sequin dresses and blouses are quite the trend especially during this holiday season. If you choose to wear a sparkly dress on New Year’s Eve, minimize on the accessories, especially jewelry!
If you decide to go for the classic black dress, or a bold red one – a holiday fave – you can still look just as glamorous. Add that little magic to your look with complimentary jewelry such as bright bracelets and shimmery necklaces.
And lastly, makeup and beauty: The one crucial tip we have for you is to consider the type of look you’re going for and then make your beauty choices. Go for a hairstyle and makeup that will complement your outfit, the color and the sparkle.
December 28, 2011
Day & Night Anti-Aging Solutions Video
December 27, 2011
New Year’s Resolutions that You’ll Keep!
Make meaningful and achievable resolutions this year that will not leave you feeling like a failure after January.
Here are some suggestions for New Year’s resolutions you can actually keep:
- Be nicer to people: whether you are aiming for a promotion or just want to spread happiness, research has shown that generous people are more likely to gain respect, cooperation, and rise in status.
- Instead of just removing a bad habit, replace it with a good one. Positive resolutions are more effective. Such as, adding more water to your diet while aiming to lower your fat in take.
- Set up an automatic savings plan: even if you start as small as $5 a week, set a specific goal, and check your progress periodically.
- Don’t forget to floss: dentists are not just trying to add time to your morning routine. Flossing helps reduce bacteria that lead to gum disease.
- Stop smoking, even if you only smoke socially: even just one cigarette with friends outside a party increases the stiffness of arteries and the risk for heart disease and stroke.
- Aim for five servings of fruits and vegetables each day: fruits like apples and bananas make great snack on the go. According to the Center for Disease Control, you need two servings of fruits and vegetables per day.
- Swap water for sugary drinks: one or two here and there is fine, but sugar packed beverages can lead to weight gain, diabetes and tooth decay.
- Add exercise to your daily life, not just at the gym: take the stairs instead of the escalator, walk over to a colleagues desk instead of sending an email, park further away instead of taking the closes parking spots, or stand while your on the train. Any of these options will get your blood pumping during the day.
- Get enough sleep: Aim for 7-8 hours per night. Not only will you have more energy, your relationship may improve with sleep quality. Research indicates that when couples do not sleep well it can lead to conflict during the day.
Setting smart, measurable and attainable goals will help you meet them more easily and be happier with yourself as a result. Remember this can be an ongoing process. Just because you break your resolution one week, does not mean you should give up for the rest of the year. Above all else, try to stay positive in the New Year.
Sources: Glamour.com, HuffingtonPost.com
December 26, 2011
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A DAY CREAM AND A NIGHT CREAM?
Day creams and night creams have different jobs. A day cream usually has sun protection and barrier repair functions as well as moisturizing effects. If the day cream is an anti-aging formula, it may also have firming properties and line reduction benefits. It can come in many different forms…gel, lotion, cream, or balm. The major job of a day time moisturizer is to drench your skin with hydrating ingredients, provide sun protection and help your skin hold on its moisture.
So, why can’t we use a daytime moisturizer at night?
The reason most people don’t use a day cream at night is because many sun protecting ingredients are irritating. Also, by using your day cream at night, you are missing a tremendous opportunity to repair your skin.
Night creams are formulated differently. Because we are in a protective environment at night and because our bodily functions slow down while we are sleeping, our skin is in a healing mode, and nighttime products take advantage of this special situation. This is the time for a therapeutic treatment. Night creams are loaded with active ingredients that can make significant improvements to your skin. Exfoliants, super moisturizing ingredients, amino acids, therapeutic botanicals and other skin beneficial ingredients are loaded into these night creams.
So, why can’t you wear your night cream in the daytime?
You can! But if you need sun protection, it needs to be another formula. Night creams are also more expensive. These are factors to be considered.
December 23, 2011
PURPLE AND BLUE FOODS : MIRACLE SUPERFOODS
As we all know, fresh fruits and vegetables are key to healthy living with their nutrient-packing superpowers and amazing health benefits. Interestingly enough, their color give us clues about the kind of health benefits they offer. On Wednesday, we talked about red fruits and vegetables; and today we will be focusing on purple and blue superfoods. Purple and blue fruits and vegetables contain important nutrients that have shown many health benefits including anti-aging. Studies have shown that these purple antioxidants, called anthocyanins, protect the heart and vision, promote mental focus, and prevent oxidative stress. Resveratrol is another fat-soluble compound found in some purple foods, such as grapes, red wine, purple grape juice, peanuts, and some berries. Furthermore, research has indicated that purple foods may provide a cure for cancer.
A cup of grapes is an excellent source of manganese and a good source of vitamins C, B1, B6 and potassium. Their beneficial compounds also include flavonoids—phytonutrients which also give them their purple color. Some of the flavonoids appear to decrease the risk of heart disease by reducing platelet clumping and protecting bad cholesterol from free radical damage that initiates its artery-damaging actions. Grapes also contain antimicrobial and antiviral properties, and the anti-inflammatory effects of resveratol may help lower cancer risks.
Blueberries contain the highest antioxident content among fruits. It has anthocyanins, ellagic acid, vitamin C, B complex and vitamin E. Blueberries help promote urinary tract health, protect against aging-related eye problems, and help keep memory sharp. As they are rich in fiber, blueberries are also beneficial for constipation and digestion. They have shown to aid in reducing belly fat, promote healthy heart, and reduce cancer risks.
A cup of plums is a very good source of vitamin C, an antioxidant which aids in wound healing, prevents periodontal disease and maintains collagen and connective tissue in the body. They are rich in vitamin B2, fiber and potassium and two unique phytonutrients known as neochlorogenic and chlorogenic acid. These two phenols appear to regulate the release of glucose in the bloodstream after a meal which may have favorable effects on blood sugar levels.
This glossy purple vegetable is a very good source of fiber, manganese, copper, vitamin B1, and a cup supplies 245 mg of potassium. It is a good source of vitamins B3 and B6, folate, magnesium, and tryptophan. Eggplants have also been found to contain phenolic compounds especially chlorogenic acid, another antioxidant which has shown to be beneficial for its anti-cancer, antimicrobial, anti-LDL and antiviral activities.
Other purple fruits and vegetables include: purple cabbage, blackberries and purple onions. Be sure to incorporate as much blue produce (as well as red and green produce) into your diet as possible for a sharper mind, strong and healthy body and a happy heart.
December 22, 2011
DO YOU UNDERSTAND RED?
The color red is one of the brightest, most distinctive colors that you can wear. As a makeup color or a fashion element, it always gets attention. Everyone can wear red. You have to understand the shade of red and the tone of red that is best for you. Here’s how to know what red is your best:
- Red is either warm or cool. Warm red has gold in it. Cool red has more blue and looks a little more plum.
- If gold, orange, yellow, olive green and golden browns are some of your best colors in clothing, you need to wear warm red.
- If blue, plum, burgundy, pink and grey are good colors for you to wear in clothing, you need the cool red.
We’ve helped you decide which shade of red is best, but what about the depth of color?
- If you have darker skin tone, eyes and hair, you can take the brighter, deeper, denser colors of red.
- If you have fair skin with lighter eyes and lighter hair, you may want to use a softer and more transparent red in both clothing and makeup.
- In fashion, for many years now are red lips. Pick the shade that works for you, warm or cool, dark or bright or more sheer.
I’ll use myself as an example. I have very fair skin, light eyes and hair. When I wear red lipstick, it is a transparent formula that has some blue tones to it (cool) that shows up on my lips more as a stain than as a lipstick. I like a softer red.
December 21, 2011
REDNESS NEUTRALIZING TRY ME KIT VIDEO:PART II
December 20, 2011
Red Foods bring a lot to the Table
Different colored foods contain different nutrients, so aim for as many different colors on your plate as possible. .
Red fruits and vegetables are packed with powerful antioxidants that have been shown to help fight cancer and heart disease, and also reduce the risk of macular degeneration, a leading cause of blindness.
Peppers Red peppers add a healthy punch, whether you prefer the sweet or spicy variety. Red peppers are a healthy source of Vitamin A, which can aid in healthy skin, hair and bones. According to the Food Network, a sweet red pepper also contains more vitamin C than an orange.
Tomatoes Vine grown tomatoes are an excellent source of the antioxidants vitamins C and A and a good source of potassium, vitamin B6, folate and thiamin. Tomatoes also contain the antioxidant lycopene, which protects against heart disease and cancer. Lycopene is equally as potent, if not more, in cooked tomato products such as ketchup and tomato sauce.
Cranberries Cranberries are packed with vitamin C and also contain flavonoids, which have been shown to help fight a variety of cancers including breast, lung and colon.
Pomegranate Pomegranates may be difficult to eat but they are full of antioxidants that have been linked to help prevent cancer and heart disease. Studies have shown that pomegranates contain three times the antioxidants of both green tea and red wine.
Cherries Cherries contain vitamins C and vitamin A and they contain high amounts the antioxidants shown to help fight inflammation. Frozen or dried cherries offer all of these benefits as well.
Apples An apple a day keeps the doctor away may not just be a ploy to get children to eat the fruit. Apples are great for your heart and even apple juice is packed with vitamins.
Strawberries One serving of strawberries (approximately 8 berries) contains more vitamin C than an orange, according to the Food Network. Strawberries have also been shown to help lower your bad (LDL) cholesterol and may also help fight cancer.
Raspberries Raspberries contain a plant compound that helps reduce inflammation and reduce the risk of diabetes and heart disease. They also contain quercetin which studies have shown may help slow cancer growth.
Try this recipe suggestion from Food & Wine Magazine for a tasty way to add color to your next meal: Crisp Polenta with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes.
Sources: Food Network Blog, FoodandWine.com
December 19, 2011
Take Small Steps to Prevent a Stroke
FACTS ABOUT STROKES
- A stroke is when blood supply to part of the brain is interrupted or severely reduced.
- Ischemic strokes are the most common type when the brain’s blood flow is blocked by a clot or atherosclerosis.
- Hemorrhagic stroke occurs whena a blood vessel leaks or bursts.
- Death rate from strokes for women is twice that of a brain cancer. It is the third leading cause of death for women.
STROKE RISK FACTORS FOR MEN AND WOMEN
- Family History
- High Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol
- Being Overweight
- Not exercising
STROKE RISK FACTORS FOR WOMEN ONLY
- Thick Waist
- High Triglycerides
- Birth Control
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
STROKE SYMPTOMS FOR MEN AND WOMEN
- Numbness or weakness of face, arm, leg
- Sudden confusion
- Trouble speaking or understanding speech
- Trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance
- Severe headache with no cause
STROKE SYMPTOMS FOR WOMEN ONLY
- Face and limb pain
- General Weakness
- Chest Pain
- Shortness of Breath
Anti-platelet and blood thinning drugs may be given to people who have already suffered an ischemic stroke.
Source: Taken from NBC Today Show, aired on December 14, 2011
December 16, 2011
Anti Redness Beauty Products
The redness color in skin is not a pure tone. It can go from shades of purple and pink to red. Trying to cover this with a skin toned concealer only ends up with a thick artificial looking application. After years of studying this problem, we came to understand that the various shades of red needed to be “neutralized” first using color (shades of yellow and green) and then using a pigment dense formula to provide coverage.
For many years, we have worked with dermatologists and plastic surgeons who want to have their patients ready to return to their normal activities after their various cosmetic procedures. Bruising, redness and the discolorations that healing skin goes through were a major challenge for our makeup artist. It was only after we understood the concept of neutralizing redness that we were able to get fantastic results.
So how do we conceal this redness? We have three different formulas:
- Our original formula, Red Neutralizer, is thick, creamy and pigment dense. It was all we had in the beginning and our customers made it a cult.
- Red Neutralizer No 2 was an improvement over the original formula. We added an anti inflammatory ingredient, made it easier to blend and put it in a new, more convenient packaging.
- Extreme Dark Circles uses the same base formula as the two products above but is thinner and in wand packaging with a brush applicator for a specific application around the eye area.
In my 30 years of being in the beauty industry, I have never seen a product that instantly delivers better results. Conditions that need miracle coverage:
- Sun Damage
- Broken capillaries
- Cosmetic Surgery Procedures
Keep Warm in Layers Without Losing Curves
With the weather getting colder every single day, we turn to sweaters, boots, jackets, coats, scarves and lots of layers to stay warm. Layers, layers, layers and lots of them! But how do we pull off the multi-layered look without looking like we packed on the pounds? Knowing the right ways to layer is the key to looking stylish, keeping warm and cozy, while avoiding bulking up.
Pick from the variety of vibrant colored and knit sweater dresses this season has to offer; we promise you they will become your best friend in the closet. Because sweater dresses let you layer, they allow you to stay warm without looking chunky. Wear your favorite sweater dress with a leather jacket and a pair of leather boots. Add on scarf with matching colors, and a cute winter hat, you will be killing two birds with one stone: chic style and warmth!
Focus on balancing out thick pieces of clothing as opposed to pulling on everything you can to keep warm. Go for figure flattering layers like fitted and tailored jackets, and tall boots that make legs look leaner and longer. Such winter essentials will keep you warm without looking too chunky.
When choosing layers of clothing, choose light fabrics such as silk and cashmere. They will keep you cozy and warm without weighing you down. Wrap a cashmere sweater and complete your look with a trendy belt on top to highlight curves, for example.
Follow these tips and you will be fighting the winter cold with your greatest weapons: Figure flattering warm clothing and a sophisticated style.
December 14, 2011
Redness Neutralizing Try Me Kit Video
December 13, 2011
Surviving Holiday Stress
The days between Thanksgiving and New Years fly by. Though this is a time for celebrating and family fun, it can also be overwhelmingly stressful. Not only do you have the normal day to day stresses and chores, but there are decorations to hang, holiday meals to prepare and presents to buy, not to mention traffic, crowds and long lines everywhere.
The number one cause of anxiety during the holiday season is finances, according to Mental Health America, especially as the economy continues to struggle. Stress can cause trouble sleeping, changes in eating patterns, anxiety, headache, upset stomach and fatigue – none of which says “Happy Holidays!”
Here are some more helpful tips for floating seamlessly through the holidays:
- Making lists is one of the easiest ways to get a handle on your schedule. Do not forget to make time for yourself; whether it is time to exercise, a trip to the spa for a facial or lunch with a friend.
- Make sure to get enough sleep so you have the energy to conquer all the additional tasks.
- If you are hosting a holiday gathering, simplify entertaining so you are able to enjoy the event yourself.
- Try to alleviate the stress of gift giving by doing presents for the group, such as a gift for the whole family instead of gifts for individual family members, or a “Secret Santa” style exchange with all the adults in your family.
Remember what the “reason for the season” is and try to set manageable expectations for yourself that do not take away from your ability to enjoy this time of year with loved ones.
December 12, 2011
Skin Redness… Beware of These Foods
There are many different kinds of skin redness. They have various causes. All types of skin redness involve inflammation. While some causes of inflammation can be prevented and/or corrected, others cannot be cured. Certain foods we eat can lead to inflammation as well. Fortunately, they are one cause of inflammation that we CAN control. Stimulating foods that lead to this concern include:
Spicy Foods to Avoid
- Mexican food with jalapenos
- Indian food with hot curry
- Asian food (especially Szechuan Chinese food) that make you perspire
- Extremely spicy kebabs from Turkey and the Middle East
- Latin American food that are flavored with a variety of spices
- Any heated food that is too hot (temperature-wise) will cause your face to flush.
- Any alcoholic drinks will lead to the reddening of the skin
- Certain medications may also play a part in skin redness. Discuss these with your doctor.
- Extremes of temperature such as icy cold or extremely hot weather will cause your face to flush. So avoid sticking your face in the freezer or in the oven.
Skin inflammation is caused by all of the above situations. Try your best to avoid these circumstances.
December 9, 2011
Chia Seeds and Your Skin
We have known for many years that essential fatty acids (EFA’s) are great for our hearts and also our skin. The most common EFA’s are found in salmon, tuna, mackerel and the plant sources from borridge and black currant seeds. Recently it has been discovered that chia seeds are also an amazing source. The reason I am writing to you about chia seeds is that they have another very important benefit besides the internal moisturizing of our skin… They are an amazing source of fiber.
Just to review why fiber is important; it helps move food through our digestive process. It absorbs bad cholesterol and it is one of the most crucial factors in helping to maintain a healthy weight as we age.
So how can we incorporate chia seeds into our diet? They look like tiny little black poppy seeds in the bag. I buy them in bulk and put them in the freezer to maintain their freshness. I add them to my yogurt or cottage cheese breakfast every morning. They can be sprinkled over salads or put into smoothies.
There is a great recipe for Chia Seed Muffins on Dr. Oz’s Program. Click here to go to the recipe.
Make chia seeds a new part of your regimen. Your heart will love it, your skin will glow and your tummy will be flatter.
December 8, 2011
HOLIDAY SHOES ARE AGELESS
Tis the season to indulge, decorate, attend Holiday Parties and celebrate. So why not do all that with a stunning pair of holiday heels? This season, we are seeing a big shift from basic black or red pairs to more vibrant colors and styles when it comes to holiday shoes. From sparkly pumps to leopard print stilettos, from classic boots to trendy flats, you have plenty of options to self-indulge and give yourself a special little gift. With Christmas and New Year right around the corner, gorgeous sparkly shoes are making their grand entrance. From ballet flats to stilettos, shoes are saturated with sequins, glitter, flashy fabric and sparkle as if they dare to challenge a fully decorated Christmas tree.
The great advantage of these shoes is that you can dress up any understated look with a sparkly pair. Attend a holiday party with your favorite little black dress paired with glittered pumps. Complete sophisticated sweaters, blouses, skirts with dark tones by wearing metallic shoes, like a pair of gold heels, silver slingback pumps or bronze colored flats. Wear a sparkly necklace or a pair of chandelier earrings to complete a glamorous look and be the head-turner at the party.
Too much sparkle and shine will lead to an over-the-top look, however. If you choose to put on fully glittered or sequined shoes, avoid wearing sparkly fabrics or too many vibrant colors in your outfit. Stick to one or two basic colored clothes to balance the glitter’s glamour with the rest of your outfit for elegance. Rely on other small yet dazzling details to carry through the glam effect of your holiday shoes. Accessorizing with gem earrings, a sequined head piece, a glittery scarf, a metallic purse and other such pieces go a long way when it comes to creating a polished, sophisticated look.
Take a look at the beautiful holiday shoes we have picked out for you below! And celebrate the festivities with a bit of flash and glam on your feet.
December 7, 2011
PROFESSIONAL BEAUTY TOOLS VIDEO
December 6, 2011
How to Look Instantly Slimmer!
The way you dress and carry yourself influences how you feel and how the outside world perceives you. Follow these simple tips to visually lose those pesky pounds instantly and feel better about yourself in process:
- Try a wrap dress. Not only are they universally flattering but they put the emphasis on the narrowest part of the body, your waist
- Dress for your body type and aim to balance out your shape. For example, if you are bottom heavy, play up your top half
- Avoid bulk in fabrics such as pleats, gathers, or ruffles, and stick to cleaner silhouettes
- Monochromatic ensembles have a streamlining effect, creating a leaner line that does not break up the body, especially in darker hues
- Have clothing, especially pants, altered so that your wardrobe fits YOU perfectly.
- Pay attention to posture: standing up straight and tall will minimize your stomach and maximize your confidence
- Use a belt to define your shape and emphasize a narrow waist
- Heals in general lengthen your legs and lift your derriere, but try nude shoes to really elongate legs
- Nothing says confidence more than a smile. Who will even notice an extra pound or two when you exude such positive energy
Sources: Good House Keeping, Shape Magazine, ModernMom.com
December 5, 2011
PROFESSIONAL BEAUTY TOOLS GET BETTER RESULTS
In this discussion, we will talk about professional makeup artist tools that are purchased through a salon or a specialty store for makeup artists. I haven't forgotten that many of you like to use your fingers for applying and blending your makeup. This is not such a good idea as your fingers have bacteria, oil and warmth. For these reasons, professional tools are better.
They get better results because they are more specialized. The handles are shaped better. The hairs are specific for different areas of the face. The shape of the brush is designed to be more accurate. The hairs are bound more precisely so that the brush last longer.
Let's talk about my favorite professional tools:
- Brows - I am a fanatic of perfecting the look of aging brows. No other feature is so defined on your face as your brows. And because there are so many problems with them as we age, getting them just right is very important. It starts with the brow brush. The hairs should be stiff and cut in a very defined angle. As you know, I prefer a cream base gel to use with this brush.
- Eye lining - This step defines sagging eyelids. It makes an older eye look firmer and brighter. Many women in this category find it difficult to line their upper eyelid because they don't see well and they don't have the properly angled brush to help them. Our bent angle lining brush with its very fine hairs gets the job done flawlessly and easily.
- Mask application - Seems simple to use your fingers to apply a mask all over your face. The truth is if you use a brush, you will get much better, smoother, firmer results.
- Sagging Upper Eyelids - The fastest way to make your aging upper eyelid look firmer and younger is to apply a matte dark eye shadow in the crease. Using the proper crease brush will have the lifting effect.
- All-over Blending - The kabuki brush is the wonder worker of professional beauty tools. Use it on your body, your cheeks, your forehead or all over your face. It works with all powders and cream-to-powders and gives a perfect blending effect.
Refer to our video to get a better understanding of how to use these specialized beauty tools.