May 15, 2012
Big Belly & Butt Busters
The Right Diet
- High Protein Diet – eat low-fat protein and foods low on the glycemic index
- Skip Breakfast – studies have shown that people with this body type who consume breakfast end up eating more throughout the day.
- Eat Dessert – sweets can help boost serotonin. Try double-churned ice-cream because it has less sugar than frozen yogurt or sherbet.
- Drink Unsweetened Pomegranate Juice – this fat burning beverage is packed with antioxidants that help counteract the inflammation that leads to belly fat.
Supplement to Consider
- Chromium Polynicotinate – helps insulin’s regulation of blood glucose. People with belly fat tend to be insulin resistant.
- Walk at Night – take a walk after dinner to lower blood sugar levels
- Stretch the Back
- Unbleached Coffee Filters – help flush out a compound called cafestrol which has been linked to high cholesterol
The Right Diet
- High Carb Diet – mostly whole grains and vegetables. It is also best to eat smaller meals throughout the day to avoid drops in blood sugar.
- Avoid Dairy – fat goes straight to the butt, thighs, and hips.
- Drink Soy Milk – to help cut down fat and balance hormones.
- Eat a Late-night Snack – to help prevent blood sugar from dropping.
Supplement to Consider
- DIM (Diindolymethane) – helps balance estrogen and may help reduce the risk of certain cancers.
- Walk in the Morning – get your heart pumping for the day right away
- Stretch the Hips
- Compression Socks – help get rid of extra fluid and improve circulation.
Source: Abridged from DoctorOZ.com
May 14, 2012
Almost every skin discoloration can be covered and concealed; you just have to make sure that the product you choose is the right one. The one thing to be careful about all concealing is that no cosmetic product should be used on open skin. You must wait until the skin is completely closed before applying any makeup products.
Emergencies to be Concealed:
Break-outs, sunburns, rashes, sensitivities and allergic reactions – All of these cause the skin to be red. In order to cover and conceal these conditions, use Red Neutralizer No. 2 and Wrinkle Treatment Concealer – two concealers that are the most effective when it comes to concealing redness. Use a camouflage brush for applying and blending. Layer multiple applications of these products to get the amount of concealing you need.
Bruising – Bruising goes through several different stages of discoloration from red and purple tones to blue, yellow and green. Experiment with Red Neutralizer No.2, Wrinkle Treatment Concealer and Even-ing Concealer. I suggest Even-ing Concealer to use as the final step for a powdery finish.
Medical procedures – Most cosmetic procedures - including botox, injectable fillers and laser treatments - must have your doctor’s approval before you apply any makeup products. As skin may have many different tones, you need all four of our super concealers - Red Neutralizer No.2, Wrinkle Treatment Concealer, Coverall, Even-ing Concealer - to help you find the right combination for perfect coverage.
Check out Imperfection Correction Concealing Kit to get these super concealers and two camouflage brushes altogether at a special sale price.
May 11, 2012
What Moms Genes Can Tell You About Aging
Women frequently ask me “how can I know what I should be focusing on to be proactive about staying young?” My suggestion is to look at photos on both sides of your family. If you have pictures of your parents throughout their life, that is the best way to start.
Most of us seem to have more genetic influence from one parent than the other. During your lifetime, if you have heard your family members say “you look just like your mother” or “you act just like your father” , then you have a sense of which parent you most resemble.
Take careful notice of the physical changes of your parents throughout your lifetime. Where did the wrinkles form? Are there areas of their aging face that shows sagging? Look at the skin around their eyes; is there “hooding” on their upper eye lid? Is their hair thinning? Did it lose its volume? Do your aging parents have age spots on their face or hands? These can give you clues about how you potentially can age. Keep in mind, however, that while our gene pool is an indication of what can happen, our lifestyle and how we take care of ourselves is of greater importance.
Our parents (and certainly our grandparents) did not have the information we have today. The scientific studies on nutrition and lifestyle effects on aging are tremendous. Make sure you are doing everything you know to live a healthy life; prioritize healthy diet, regular exercise, adequate sleep, and a positive attitude.
While we’re talking about aging, I also want to remind you to be mindful of the genetic issues that lead to certain diseases in your family. You should know this information, and if your parents are still alive, ask questions about diseases that might be prevalent in your family.
Also: If your mother is still alive, thank her for all she did to teach you how to be healthy and happy.
May 10, 2012
Top 5 Gift Ideas for Mom
Another Mother’s Day is right around the corner. And yes, we all know that we could never pay our Mom back for all that she’s given us. We can, however, still try our best to put a big smile on her face every day - especially on Mother’s Day.
Have you picked out what you’re getting for your Mom yet? For those of you that are still looking, it is your lucky day because we are bringing you 5 special ways to pamper your Mom!
Flowers & Chocolate
As obvious a gift option these two are, they make a classic, timeless gift combination that all moms will love and appreciate. After all it is the thought that counts! And really, who wouldn’t love a big bouquet of beautiful flowers and a nice box of - the sweetest treat in the world - chocolate. A great opportunity to spend quality time with Mom on a Sunday afternoon, while noshing on some delicious chocolate together!
Our moms have spent the majority of their time shopping for us while we were growing up. So why not give your mom a gift card to her favorite store or brand, and let her splurge on herself however she wants? Make sure to present the gift card in pretty packaging, accompanied by a thoughtfully written card. Again, the saying is “it’s the thought that counts!”
Whether she wears it daily or saves it for special occasions, getting your mom a bottle of her favorite perfume goes a long way. Giving her a heavenly bottle of her signature scent will not only keep her smelling as amazing as usual; but it will also show that you really know (and pay attention to) her likes and tastes.
Spa Treatment and/or At-Home Spa Kit
What is the best way to truly pamper your mom other than giving her a spa treatment? Perhaps, a “Mother/Daughter Spa Day”? Even better! – as this will give you a chance to catch up, bond and spend some one-on-one quality time together.
If you can’t book a “Mother/Daughter Spa Day” however - whether because you’re far away from mom, or simply because of hectic schedules - well, then our at-home Special Mother’s Day Spa Kit is just for you! Mother's Day gifts are all about making moms feel good, after all!
Every woman loves a classy, gorgeous piece of jewelry – and even more so, when it comes from her daughter or son! Think about your mom carefully and pick something that would suit her style. She will think of you every time she puts it on!
May 9, 2012
Special Mother’s Day Video:
Beauty Tips From My Mother
May 8, 2012
Mom Really Does Know All
It is important to know what health problems run on both sides of your family, but understanding any issues your mother has had, particularly gynecological problems, can help you to be proactive about your own health.
When did your mom enter menopause?
If your mom hit menopause in her early 40s, younger than the average age of 52, you may want to consider starting a family sooner rather than later. However, if your mom had severe menopausal symptoms that does not necessarily mean you will too.
To lessen your risk of experiencing the same trouble, make lifestyle changes in your 30s and 40s to help keep your nervous system in balance: for example gradually cut back on caffeine, make time for exercise and try to reduce stress, also adding more soy to your diet may help ease symptoms according to recent research.
Did your mom have trouble getting pregnant?
If your mother had trouble conceiving, your risk of the same may be higher. Problems with egg production or endometriosis tend to be hereditary. If you know your mother had difficulty, it may be best not to put off trying to have children. also you not have to wait until you have problem to consult a doctor.
Does your mom or dad have a family history of any disease?
Family history can predict many health risks, such as heart disease, diabetes, some forms of cancer, osteoporosis, depression, or stroke. While you should know the history on both sides of your family, links to hereditary diseases are often stronger on the maternal side for the daughter.
For example, having a mother, sister, or daughter with breast cancer doubles your risk. Given your mom’s history, your doctor may recommend a visit to a genetic counselor to do a blood test that can screen for genetic mutations.
Source: Fox News
May 7th, 2012
Skincare Shouldn’t Stop at Your Neck
We are all very diligent and careful about taking the best care of our face and our neck. Night and day, we apply specialized products in these areas to help prevent and correct the signs of aging. What amazes me, however, is that for the rest of our body, we tend to use lower quality formulas. While these lower quality formulas might provide some moisturization, they do not prevent or correct the signs of aging – certainly not in the same way that our higher quality face and neck products do.
I strongly urge you to re-think the care of the skin on your body. Just like your face, it can be changed. You need products that contain highly effective botanicals, regenerating amino acids and proteins, vitamins and minerals, and other active ingredients that will reveal the younger skin on your body that you want. Products that have been formulated to promote collagen production on the skin of your face will do the same for the skin on your body.
Do you have crepiness under your arms, between your breasts, on your inner thighs and behind your knees? These conditions can be improved and even reversed using the right products. Do you have sun damage on your chest? Do you have bumps on the back of your arms? Are your knees sagging? Start taking special care of the skin on your body NOW to improve these conditions.
The best time to apply your anti-aging body product is after you shower, while your skin is warm and damp. Massage in the product and let it be absorbed by your skin before dressing. Keep in mind that a high quality formula will disappear and go right into your skin. Also, remember that it generally takes about 2-4 weeks before you start to see visible improvements and a dramatic change in your skin.
May 4, 2012
Why Diane Eats Avocado Everyday
I love avocados so much that I include them in my diet every day. Not only are they delicious and taste great, but they also provide amazing health benefits, especially for your skin, hair and nails.
I think of avocados as nature’s moisturizers for the skin, hydrating skin from the inside out. Full of skin healthy polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, avocado helps control skin’s moisture level that is crucial for smooth, consistent complexion and texture.
So what are some other amazing benefits of this miracle fruit? Avocados are rich in B vitamins, which help with metabolism and energy. They contain 60% more potassium than bananas which play an important role in fluid balance in the body including the moisture content in the skin.
They are full of other healthy skin nutrients such as vitamin E and K. Vitamin E, an important antioxidant in the skin, helps protect the skin from free radicals. Vitamin K, another fat-soluble vitamin, plays a role in blood clotting and bone health.
I add my avocado to my salad every day because avocado when eaten with vegetables (and fruits) improves the body’s ability to absorb skin-healthy nutrients. Add a small amount of avocado to a salad of carrot, lettuce, spinach and your body will absorb super skin-protecting nutrients such as alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, lycopene and lutein.
And that is not all! We all know the importance of fiber for a balanced, healthy diet. And avocados, with high fiber content, contain both insoluble and soluble fiber. The benefits of each type of fiber are already well known: Insoluble fiber cleans out your bowels by way of increasingly efficient bowel movements. And soluble fiber is great for appetite control, of making you feel full for a longer period of time.
Include some avocado in your diet every day and you will notice the difference in your smooth, glowing skin, shiny hair and strong, healthy nails!
May 3, 2012
The “Superhero” Anti-Wrinkle Juices
We all want to fight wrinkles in every way we know how. And lately, we have been discussing improving the skin and reducing fine lines and wrinkles from “the inside” – meaning with the help of healthy superfoods with amazing anti-aging benefits.
We have already shared Diane’s Special Anti-Aging Recipe with you. And it’s time for the super anti-wrinkle juices.
Here are some of the amazing juice ingredients that have been found to be extremely beneficial in fighting wrinkles and getting flawless, glowing, younger looking skin.
Beet Juice – Traditionally used to clean and support the liver, beet juice is rich in carotenes. The leaves, which can be juiced along with the stems, are loaded with minerals, such as iron, magnesium, calcium, manganese and potassium.
Carrot juice – This is one of nature’s richest sources of alpha- and beta-carotene. And did you know that alpha-carotene is considered nature’s best natural sun blocker? All the more reason to drink carrot juice!
Cucumber and bell pepper juices – Excellent sources of silicon, which is known to improve the appearance of the skin. Another major perk? As the pH of cucumber is close to that of the skin, it may help prevent wrinkles!
Ginger juice – Rich in zinc, ginger juice is an excellent anti-inflammatory!
Green leafy vegetable juices – Parsley, spinach, kale, chard, beet tops, mustard greens, wheatgrass… The juice of these herbs and vegetables are particularly rich in chlorophyll, antioxidants and alkalizing minerals.
Parsnip juice – A traditional remedy for beautifying the skin, hair and nails.
Source: The Wrinkle Cleanse by Cherie Calbom
May 2, 2012
Diane’s Special Anti-Aging Recipe
- Dinner Plan: This soup and water only. Do not consume any other foods or beverages (except water) until the next morning.
- Email us about the visible improvements in your skin. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make sure to include your name, phone number and email address.
- The deadline is Sunday May 6th 2012, 12am EST.
- The winner will be announced on our website on Monday May 7th 2012, 12pm EST.
May 2, 2012
Eye Makeover Demo Video
Click here to purchase!
Diminishing Wrinkles from the Inside & A Chance to Win a $100 Gift Certificate
I know that many of you take good care of your skin and tackle those stubborn wrinkles with skincare products - from the outside. But have you ever thought of diminishing the look of fine lines and wrinkles from the inside?
AND a chance to win $100 in Diane Young Products?
My Special Anti-Aging Recipe can help diminish your wrinkles from the inside and make you eligible for a $100 Gift Certificate!
Diane's Special Anti-Aging Recipe
Sulfur is the "beauty mineral", known to improve your skin, hair and nails. Sulfur promotes collagen building in the skin to create firmer, younger looking skin.
My special anti-aging recipe is full of sulfur ingredients that are nourishing to the skin, as well as other anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and diuretic ingredients.
When I have this soup as my dinner, I look younger and smoother with diminished wrinkles the next morning. That is why I'm sharing this secret with you, so that it does the same for you!
Try it out and share your experience with us in order to enter for a chance to win a $100 Gift Certificate in Diane Young Antiaging Products!
Click here for my special anti-aging recipe!
May 1, 2012
Where Aging Begins
Wrinkled skin begins at the cellular level; the result of environmental and biological factors. As the cell plasma membrane ages, it stiffens and loses its fluidity. When it hardens, water cannot pass through and toxins build up, causing inflammation. Inflammation in the skin can masquerade as faux wrinkles.
Major contributing factors to the build up of toxins and the aging of cells include:
- Environment toxins and a toxic, congested internal environment
- Free radical attacks on cells
- Weakened immune system
- Sun damage
- Insulin resistance
- Sleep disturbances
Address the underlying causes of wrinkles for visible results right where you want them…on your face!
Source: Adapted from The Wrinkle Cleanse by Cherie Calbom, M.S.
April 30, 2012
5 Anti-Aging Foods You May Not Know
- Black garlic helps to repair age-damaged skin. Uniquely colored due to its fermentation process, black garlic contains double the antioxidants as regular garlic and can be eaten raw. It strengthens and restores skin cells damaged by the aging process. Use it in place of regular garlic in most recipes.
- Jicama is a crisp root vegetable that can help fight crow’s feet by boosting collagen and fighting wrinkles. It’s also an excellent source of vitamin C. Try it either raw or cooked.
- Jerusalem artichoke can help to fade the appearance of under-eye circles. Their beauty secret is iron – they contain five times more iron as potatoes. Eating them can help to correct an iron deficiency, a common cause of paleness that makes your under-eye bags more apparent.
- Purslane is an herb that is loaded with omega-3 fatty acids that help to reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke. It also is a great source of vitamins A, B and C. Add it to yogurt or salads.
- Sunflower Seed Butter works to unclog your arteries. It’s rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids including one that lowers your cholesterol. Try it instead of peanut butter.
The Dr. Oz Show
April 27, 2012
Eye Opening Makeup Secrets
As we age gravity is pulling down on our face and body. Around the eye area the brow droops, the crease sags, the outer corners of the eye turn down, and we get crepeyness on the lid and underneath the eye. This is a sad state of affairs!
What to do? Specialized formulas and unique beauty tools will create the younger eye opening effect you want:
- Prepare the skin around the eyes. The right eye cream will work around the clock to help improve and correct these issues. You want one that exfoliates, builds firmness, and diminishes the look of crepeyness and wrinkles.
- Prep lashes and brows. A specialize serum for this “eye hair” will coat your brows, groom them, tint them, and encourage fullness. Use the same formula on your lashes. The protein coating will promote thickness, fullness, conditioning, and tinting.
- Become a concealing expert. If you have darkness/redness under your eye, you most likely have it on your upper eye lid as well. When you apply your concealer under the eye, go above as well. This is the best eye opening trick I know.
- Define. The contours of our eyes loose firmness just like our face. It is critical to define your upper eye lid, so that it looks firmer and shows the shape of a younger looking eye. This is one of the hardest things to do in make-up. A bent-angle brush, with few hairs, used with a liquid formula that has staying power, will be goof-proof and create the look you desire.
- Add color. Two rules: no shine and no color! Aging eyes need to be highlighted with lights and darks. A lighter color on your lid and a darker color in the crease. The secret is the right tools for applying and blending. Sponges on sticks are unique tools that will get this job done.
April 26, 2012
Spring Cropped Jacket Trends
Put away those heavy coats and jackets you’ve worn all winter! Because they are quickly being replaced by the selection of cropped spring jackets that allow you to make a style statement while still keeping you warm.
As spring is a celebration of bold, bright and vivid colors when it comes to fashion, it’s no wonder that cropped jackets in trend come in all kinds of shades, prints and designs to complete your wardrobe.
Cropped jackets are perfect for the spring because they complement warm-weather clothing such as tank tops, sleeveless dresses and camisoles. Appropriate for both casual and formal occasions, they make a great addition to your work outfit as well.
Light in weight and just the right length for the spring weather, cropped jackets are very convenient to carry around in your purse and protect you in the case of an unexpected chill.
Modern, classy, versatile and extremely convenient, cropped jackets will be your “must” this spring, helping you add a sophisticated and a stylish twist to almost every outfit you can think of.
April 25, 2012
Eye Makeover Video
April 24, 2012
Foods that Fight Cancer
Certain foods can provide cancer-starving benefits. Below are 5 foods to eat that can help prevent cancer growth:
- Bok Choy This type of Chinese cabbage contains brassinin; a powerful cancer-fighter, also found in broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts.
- Cooked Tomatoes have more cancer-fighting properties than raw tomatoes. Both contain the molecule lycopene, but heating the tomato changes its chemical structure and makes the benefits more readily available to your body.
- Flounder This fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and low in mercury.
- Strawberries The antioxidants in this berry help fight cancers.
- Artichokes contain 3 different cancer-fighting molecules.
Source: Adapted from Dr. Oz
April 23, 2012
Younger Looking Eyes
It is easy to take care of the skin around your eyes if you know a few basic facts.
- Be careful with your hands. Use a milky cleanser, gel or liquid that completely dissolves all makeup even the most resistant eye makeup. Leave the product on for 1 minute. Remove with water or warm damp washcloth (my favorite). Pulling, tugging and rubbing around your eyes are eye-aging habits. Our suggestion for a cleanser: Age Lift Cleansing Milk
- Add a serum to your daily regimen. This is the secret weapon to correcting and preventing aging skin around the eyes. Use a serum that has been tested specifically for the eye area and use it as instructed on the packaging. It should be applied before your eye cream. Our suggestion : Miraculously Younger Serum
- You must exfoliate around your eyes. Your antiaging eye cream should be rich and super hydrating. It should also contain a micro exfoliant. This ingredient will remove dead skin cells without you even being aware of it. Two to four weeks after using this kind of product, you will see and feel the difference when you apply your makeup. Our Suggestion: Miraculously Younger Eye Cream
- A super eye trick: Consider two eye creams. The daytime formula will give you extra smoothing and firming almost immediately. Wrinkle targeting complex uses hollow hyaluronic acid spheres to produce this immediate antiaging result. Daytime suggestion: Coneflower Eyeline Firmer. Nighttime suggestion: Miraculously Younger Eye Cream.
April 20, 2012
Glutathione - Watermelon’s Secret Ingredient
One of the most important antiaging antioxidents, glutathione, is a powerful amino acid (protein) that is produced in the liver. The amazing nutrient can not only reverse some of the damage caused by tobacco smoke but may also protect the liver from alcohol induced damage. A deficiency of glutathione first affects the nervous system causing certain symptoms such as lack of coordination, mental disorders, tremors, and difficulty maintaining balance. As we age, glutathione levels decline; although it’s not known whether this is because we use it up more rapidly or produce less of it, to begin with. Unfortunately, if not corrected, the lack of glutathione exhilarates the aging process.
Researchers have discovered that watermelon contains more glutathione per bite than many other fruits and vegetables. Among fruits, watermelon is the best source of glutathione, with 28 mg per 100 g serving. Other fruits containing this antioxidant are strawberries (12 mg per 100 g), grapefruit (15 mg per 100 g), oranges (11 mg per 100 g) and peaches (7 mg per 100 g).
When it comes to vegetables, asparagus is a particularly rich source. Eating asparagus raw is more beneficial, as cooked asparagus contains much less of the protein. Other vegetables that contain this super-nutrient are acorn squash(14 mg per 100 g), broccoli( 8 mg per 100 g), potato(13 mg per 100 g), tomatoes( 11 mg per 100 g), okra (7 mg per 100 g), zucchini (7 per 100 g), and spinach (5 mg per 100 g).
Avocados (17mg per 100 g), walnuts (15 mg per 100 g), fish, poultry and red meat (all about 10 mg per 100 g) are also on the list!
Foods Rich in Gluthathione
April 19, 2012
What “Suits” You this Spring?
Among the new fashion waves spring brings, separates - such as suit jackets, blazers, fitted pants and pencil skirts – should definitely be on your radar this year.
Blazers - If you don’t already own one, we suggest you invest in a stylish blazer from the trendy options this spring; because this piece has become quite the wardrobe staple. Available in many different cuts, styles and colors, blazers are no longer limited to just the “tailored work suit” form. A blazer with rolled up sleeves is not only extremely sophisticated but also adds an “empowered” touch to your outfit. The cropped blazer is a modern classic. Whether it is tailored or loose-fitting, it has a flattering effect as it shortens the torso and makes your legs look longer. Whether it is a formal, tailored blazer or a casual bright colored one, take your pick depending on the weather, the occasion, your style and your mood.
White Suit Jacket - White suit jackets that are very “in” this season. You can get one custom-made for your curves or sport a slightly loose-fitted one. Because of the classic, neutral color and the timelessness of the piece, a white suit jacket will go with anything and everything. Add it to your closet and you will spice up even the plainest looking pieces.
Vests – Layer a vest over a nice blouse or button-down shirt. This combination will not only be extremely chic and stylish but also quite flattering for the figure. In terms of color options, we suggest dark colors such as black, navy or gray for their extra-slimming quality.
Skirts – With the different design options, skirt suits are also another hit! Choosing the right style can hide flaws and bumps (such as your belly and even your butt), while highlighting the right areas of your figure. While a pencil skirt will accentuate your curves, an A-line cut will mask them. Paired with an elegant button-down shirt or a stylish blazer, skirts will complete your look with a sophisticated, feminine touch.
Pants – “Fit and flared” or “slim fit”, we all know that pants are a must – after all, the right pair guarantees a sleek and slim look! Straight-cut pants that fall to the bottom of your heel are a timeless classic and flatter your figure to a great degree. Dark colors are the most slimming ones but don't let that get in the way of trying neutral shades such as white, cream and beige.
April 18, 2012
Primers Q&A Video
April 17, 2012
Shocking Diet Myths
1. Myth: Eating eggs raises your cholesterol levels.
Truth: Dietary cholesterol found in eggs has little to do with the amount of cholesterol in your body. In healthy people, research has never shown a link between egg consumption and blood lipids or with risk of heart disease.
2. Myth: All saturated fats raise blood cholesterol.
Truth: New research shows that some saturated fats do not. Stearic acid, a type of saturated fat found naturally in cocoa, dairy products, meats, and poultry, as well as palm and coconut oils, does not raise harmful LDL cholesterol but boosts good HDL cholesterol levels.
3. Myth: The only heart-friendly alcohol is red wine.
Truth: Beer, wine and liquors all confer the same health benefits. Any kind of beverage that contains alcohol, when consumed in moderation (and that means one to two drinks a day), helps reduce heart disease risk.
4. Myth: Adding salt to the pot adds sodium to the food.
Truth: Salt added to boiling water may actually make vegetables more nutritious because it reduces leaching of nutrients into the water. The majority of sodium in our diets (about 75 percent) comes from processed foods
5. Myth: Fried foods are always too fatty.
Truth: Healthy deep-fried food is not an oxymoron. When food is exposed to hot oil, the moisture inside boils and pushes from the interior to the surface and then out into the oil. As moisture leaves, it creates a barrier, minimizing oil absorption into the food. The little oil that does penetrate the food’s surface forms a crisp, tasty crust. To keep foods from soaking up oil (and calories), fry according to recipe instructions.
6. Myth: The more fiber you eat, the better.
Truth: Not all fibers are equally beneficial, it depends on the source. Foods fortified with fiber do not provide the same benefits as whole foods like legumes, fruits, and vegetables.
7. Myth: Organic foods are more nutritious than conventional.
Truth: No significant nutritional difference exists between conventional and organic crops and livestock. There is, of course, still the issue of trace amounts of pesticides or herbicides.
8. Myth: Cooking olive oil destroys its health benefits.
Truth: Even delicate extra-virgin oils can take the heat without sacrificing nutrition. Heart-healthy monounsaturated fats aren’t unfavorably altered by heat. They survive a sauté intact.
Adapted from: Julie Upton on The Today Show
April 16, 2012
How You Know a Primer Works
What makes a primer deliver best results is a high concentration of silicone or pigments. These ingredients should be listed in the top five ingredients in the formula packaging. As with any other product, another sure way of knowing results before you buy is recommendation of a good friend or a family member. If you can sample before you purchase, you should pay attention to the following: A good primer diminishes your pores, greatly improves the texture of your skin and makes your make up stay on longer. In the case of a concealing primer, your skin is even toned, clear and flawless.
Cosmetic companies really talk about this but silicone, the main ingredient in most formulas, needs to be applied. You should wait 3-5 minutes before you start applying your makeup. Silicone needs to “dry” or “flash off” - the cosmetic term for this process – for best results. Apply the primer to clean, moisturized skin and then proceed with your make up routine.
I apply our Invisible Foundation of Youth for Pores all over my aging face because I have enlarged pores and textural irregularities. You can use these formulas just where you need them - on your nose, forehead, cheeks. Pick the spots that need help. I also use Red Neutralizer all over my face after the first primer because I have diffused redness and need to cover up this color in my skin. This seems like a lot of extra work; but it is the most crucial step in achieving a flawless looking face and makes your makeup stay on a lot longer.
Don’t skip this important step in your daily routine. Looking for a primer and don’t know where to start? Try our promotion of the week, Skin Transforming Primers, featuring our two top products in this category, and you will see the difference.
April 13, 2012
Why Do We Need Primers?
As we’ve discussed before, we all dream of the one skincare product that will solve all of the problems of aging skin. But unfortunately, we don’t have the science or technology to yet accomplish this dream. The same is true with makeup. We wear foundation to even out our skin tone and use concealer to cover up our imperfections. There is, however, more to be accomplished than either or both of these formulations can achieve. And that is where primers come in!
Primers are a newer category for evening skin color and texture. Many of them contain large percentages of silicone, which instantly improves the texture and the look of our skin by filling in and smoothing over irregularities. They create an optical illusion to brighten the skin by using light to make it look perfected.
Then, there are other types of primers that are about improving color. Recent research has revealed that the No. 1 skin problem that makes us appear older is skin discoloration – e.g. dark spots, redness and age related pigmentation. Primers for color evening are usually very pigment dense; they have color neutralizing properties to perfect the tone of your skin.
Our ‘star’ products in these categories are Foundation of Youth for Pores and Red Neutralizer; two primers, one for texture improvement and the other for color evening. Both of which are goof-proof to apply and give amazing instant benefits. Give them a try with this week’s promotion Skin Transforming Primers, you will be pleased with the results!
April 12, 2012
Simple Slimming Styles
Tis the season to put away the chunky clothes and many layers, and step out in chic slimming styles that flatter your shape and elongate your body. Here are our top suggestions for simple slimming styles:
Fitted clothes - Avoid wearing baggy clothes larger than your size. Chunky, oversized clothes not only make you seem sloppy but also bigger. Instead, pair a sophisticated blouse or a trendy tunic top with narrow pants. Or combine a fitted, belted top with flowing pants.
Long necklaces – As the weather gets warmer, replace your scarf with a gorgeous necklace. Necklaces not only compliment your sense of style, but slim you down visually – if you choose the right kind, that is! Wear long necklaces to create a vertical line and they will elongate your overall look.
V-neck tops – Stock up on the season’s hottest, trendiest V-necks because you will be wearing them all throughout the spring and summer. V-necks elongate your look and are flattering for almost every body type.
Small Prints - Prints of every color and design - polka dots, stripes, florals and more – are defining the “Spring 2012 Fashion”. Be careful, though, because larger prints emphasize a larger space and can make you look bigger. Pick out small, intricate prints for an instantly slimmer look.
Platforms and Wedges – We all know that adding a few inches with our shoes make our legs look longer, guaranteeing an instant slimming effect! So invest in some platforms and wedges that raise the whole of your foot instead of just the heel. As both shoe styles come in all shapes, designs and colors this spring, you won’t have a hard time finding pairs that go with any outfit.
April 11, 2012
Skin Transforming Primers Video
April 10, 2012
Top 7 Processed Foods to Avoid
- Light Yogurt - many are full of artificial sweeteners and have two thirds less protein than Greek yogurt. Though it tends to have more calories, Greek yogurt is the better option because it is more natural and more filling.
- Packaged Cheese Slices – are made from cheese and a long list of other ingredients including, salt, food coloring, other milk ingredients, and chemical additives. Stick to the real thing, not only does it taste better but it is better for you.
- Bottled Salad Dressing – many are made with chemicals, additives and corn syrup. Do not ruin a perfectly fresh salad with all these unnecessary ingredients, instead mix a little olive oil, vinegar and some fresh herbs.
- Sweet Drinks – not only can these drinks be high in sugar, but if you opt for diet, artificially sweetened drinks can make you crave more sugar later.
- High-Protein Cereals – are often fortified with soy protein isolate, which is highly processed soy that is low in nutrients. If you eat your cereal with milk or yogurt, that is enough protein with breakfast.
- Coffee Creamers – often contain artificial chemicals and hidden trans fats. If you like your coffee creamy, go for a nonfat latte or a soy latte if you are lactose intolerant.
- Processed Meats – are often high in sodium and have nitrates, preservatives that are considered carcinogenic.
Sources: Glamour Magazine (April 2012), Natural-health-restored.com
April 9, 2012
Why Do Pores Get Larger As We Age?
Every woman I know thinks they have large pores. It is normal to have larger pores on your nose, on your chin and sometimes in the middle of your forehead. Pores get larger to accommodate oil. The amount of oil that comes out of your pores is determined genetically. In other words, you inherit pore size. Normal skin has larger pores down the center section of the face and smaller pores around the sides.
As we age and our hormones change, oil production changes as well. Our skin starts producing less oil, leading to drier skin. But if we have less oil, why are our pores getting larger as we get older? The answer has to do with the loss of elasticity in the skin. This loss of firmness, and sagging pulls the skin down, stretching the pores open. Even women who never had large pores can start to see enlarged pores especially on the sides of their faces, near where smile lines form. So now we have drier skin and enlarged pores.
So what should be done about this problem? There are 2 steps to improve this condition. First of all, you need a super moisturizer that has skin firming properties. I love Promises Delivered CreamSerum. Use it twice a day and if you are extremely dry, layer Awaken Even Younger Night Cream over it. To tighten up the look of these open pores, use Line Lifting Therapy Treatment Mask once a week.
Is there a salon treatment that will help solve this problem? Yes, a series of microcurrent treatments will stimulate the muscles and give a lifted, firmer look to your whole face.
April 6, 2012
Everything You Want to Know About Your Aging Neck
One of the great things about having a skincare salon is that I get to interface with our customers. We get to listen to their problems and help them address their concerns. The following questions are ones I get repeatedly about how to help an aging neck.
Question – Why does my neck look older than my face?
Answer – There are lots of reasons. The most logical one is that you have not taken care of your neck in the same way as you have taken care of your face. In addition, the skin on your neck is more vulnerable than your face. It is thinner, it has fewer oil glands and it has gravity pulling down on it. You may have inherited a tendency towards a sagging neck because of the way you move the muscles as well. And this is just from not picking the right parents.
Question – How can I start improving the skin on my neck?
Answer - Start using a neck cream that will address the problems we have described above. Your cream should be applied every morning and evening on clean skin. You may also want to consider sleeping on a flat pillow so that your neck is not affected during your sleep. Good posture will also improve the look of your neck and the way that it ages.
Question – I want to do everything I can to improve my neck. What should I do?
Answer – Your at-home regimen can be more thorough than just using a neck cream. Consider using a serum specifically for the neck. Apply under the neck cream day and night to boost the effects of the cream and improve the appearance of this area. You should also think about a product to gently exfoliate your neck. My personal favorite is exfoliating pads. I would advise that you exfoliate 2-3 times a week while you apply your serum and cream together twice a day. Expect to see results in 2-3 months.
Question – Is there a salon treatment that will help improve the look of my aging neck?
Answer – I love microcurrent. Microcurrent is a stimulation of the muscles that support the skin on the neck, giving it a firmer, more lifted look. Multiple treatments are needed, and then a monthly maintenance treatment will continue the improved effect. This is not a substitute for surgery. It is simply a way to push back the clock and improve the look of an aging neck.
April 5, 2012
Blooming Spring Prints
Those of you feeling the magic of spring inside and out will be glad to know that the season’s fashion is right there with you – bolder, brighter and livelier than ever with all its gorgeous vivid colors, beautiful patterns and heavenly prints. Decorating clothes, accessories, and even shoes, the spring prints come in such a variety of design and color that there is one for everyone’s taste and personal style - whether you are a fan of the vibrant hues or earthy spice colors.
So celebrate the fun spirit of the happiest season: Inject a burst of color into your outfit and balance the neutral and one color pieces you are sporting with these fun prints.
- Floral Prints
- Graphic prints
- Tropical Prints
- Checks and Dots
Look for shirts, blouses, lightweight sweaters with these designs. Pairing tops with gorgeous eye-catching patterns, and neutral, toned down bottom pieces will create a beautiful balance in your outfit. Wear a floral blouse with a soft neutral colored skirt. Layer a striped sweater over a one color dress or blouse. Wear a chic button up shirt with polka dots with black fitted pants. With the available print and pattern choices, the combinations are endless, and the sky is the limit.
Don’t always want these designs on your clothes? Try them on your bag, shoes and belts to keep your look classic and simple yet still have a dash of magic here and there.
The spring prints in bloom will take your outfit from plain to interesting, fresh and stylish with little effort, for a bold yet chic look.
April 4, 2012
Video Visit with Diane Ageless Beauty Video
April 3, 2012
5 Numbers that can Save Your Life
These five numbers can provide critical medical insight for you to be aware of any health concerns and begin taking charge of your own health:
1. Blood Pressure: Over 50 million American adults have high blood pressure, also known as hypertension. High blood pressure can cause a number of other medical problems including cardiovascular disease, chronic kidney disease and stroke.
- Blood pressure can be tested at your doctor’s office or a pharmacy.
- Pay attention to the top number, which is the systolic pressure. A reading over 140 is considered too high.
2. Waist Size: Large waistlines can nearly double your risk of dying prematurely. Stomach fat sends out a toxic stream of chemicals impacting the whole body.
- A waist size over 35 inches in women and over 40 inches in men greatly increases the risk of chronic diseases like diabetes, heart disease and more.
- The ideal waist size for women is 32 ½ inches and 35 inches for men.
3. Body Weight: is one of the easiest numbers to calculate and is an excellent indicator of overall health. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), 1 out of 3 Americans are considered obese.
- The average American woman is approximately 5’4” tall. The cut off point for obesity at this height is 175 pounds. The average American man is about 5’9” tall and should weigh less than 196.
- If you are taller (or shorter) than average, you can add 5 (or subtract) pounds per inch.
4. Cholesterol: High cholesterol is a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease.
- See your doctor regularly for a blood test.
- Your HDL, or healthy cholesterol, should be 50 or better. Your LDL, or unhealthy cholesterol, should be under 100. If your numbers do not fall in this range, discuss strategies for lowering your LDL and increasing your HDL with a health care professional.
5. Fasting Blood Sugar measures your risk for diabetes.
- Fasting blood sugar is measured after an 8-hour fast, as ingesting food can raise blood sugar. Fasting blood sugar can be tested with a simple blood test.
- Fasting blood sugar above 100 is considered pre-diabetic and should be discussed with a physician.
Source: abridged from Dr. OZ
April 2, 2012
Why Should You Use 2 Products on the Same Area?
Formulating cosmetic products is still evolving. Cosmetic chemists are working long and hard to incorporate all the new technology into skincare formulas to create maximum results for consumers. Best results from these products are seen when active ingredients are included at their clinical percentages or at percentages that have shown substantial improvement. Here is the problem: A formula can only contain a 100% of the ingredients so we can’t always get the known active ingredients into one formula for an area.
Let me give you an example of how this works. The skin on the neck has very special requirements. To improve aging neck skin, we want to firm it, decrease the look of lines and wrinkles, improve texture, decrease crepiness, provide intense hydration, and exfoliate. WOW! This is a lot for one formula to accomplish. So we need two formulas to achieve maximum results for this area. Layer one over the other, remembering that the lightest texture goes first. If these two formulas have the same texture and thickness, it doesn’t matter which goes first.
My dream – and I’m sure yours also – is to have one product that could be used everywhere ; on the face and body, producing the exciting anti-aging benefits that we all want and need. We just don’t know how to do it yet. When that day comes, we will be the first to do it and you will know about it.
Until that day, we suggest you try using products that complement each other and work really well as a team such as our Promises Delivered Neck CreamSerum and Promises Delivered Neck Firming Exfoliator.
Click here for this week’s Ageless Beauty Promotion which features both of these products on sale.
March 30, 2012
Vitamins in Skincare Products
Vitamin A, C and E are powerful antioxidants that are an important part of a healthy diet. Interestingly enough, these antioxidants work in skincare formulas in the same way as they work in our diets when they are ingested: They neutralize free radicals in our bodies; and they do the same in skincare products.
What do we mean by “neutralizing free radicals”? We mean getting rid of the damaging molecule of oxygen. Neutralizing free radicals is a preventative action. By getting rid of these free radicals with such antioxidants, we help prevent various signs of aging such as wrinkles, pigmentation, texture change, lack of firmness and sagging.
Vitamins A, C, and E come in different forms and can have different names. When you read a cosmetic label, you might not catch the vitamin at first glance. However, if you read through carefully, you will see that the vitamins are the ones that have letter (of the vitamin) in parenthesis. Almost all formulas use Vitamin E to prevent the oxidation of the formula.
Learn to read your ingredient label and look for these wonderful vitamins in your formulas.
Here are some of our formulas that are high end antioxidants:
- Antioxidant Cleansing Gel - Acsorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Tocopherol (Vitamin E)
- Antioxidant Herbal Toning Mist – Ascorbyl Methylsilanol Pectinate (Vitamin C), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A)
- Miraculously Younger Serum - Vitamin A (Retinyl Palmitate)
- De-Aging Sunscreen/ SPF 15 Oil-Free Firming Moisturizer - Tocopheryl Acetale (Vitamin E)
- Vitamin E Stick - Tocopherol (Vitamin E)
- C-Circles Vanish – Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)
- Unwrinkle - Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A)
- Intensive Heeling Dry Foot Formula – Vitamin C
March 29, 2012
Spring Shoes For Happy Feet
Make room in your closet for the colorful, sophisticated, fun and comfortable shoes arriving in stores this spring. It is indeed the season of bright colors - including in the fashion world. A trend that is translating beautifully into our shoe closet. With all their bold designs, romantic feel, creative styles, and elegant fashion, here are our top picks from the spring shoes in bloom. You’ll be happy to know they are quite feet-friendly, too!
With the arrival of the gorgeous warm weather, the bold-but-comfy wedge heels are starting to show themselves everywhere. Quite a popular pick this time of the year, wedges are an easy way to add a few inches to you height and elongate your legs. There is a variety of heel heights in wedge styles, allowing you to choose the right one for your feet’s comfort. Pick from the many unique sandal wedges with heels made of everything from cork to wood.
The stylish, chic flats are also a season favorite. Available in bright colors, fun prints and complimentary two-tone styles, flats are matching the spring spirit. From floral to graphic and folkloric designs, a lot of variety in prints are available as well. For some sparkle, go for flats with bright colors and sequins; they are perfect for a beautiful classy look on a night out.
Ballet flats come in creative and romantic designs, and are embellished with flowers, buttons, bows, seashells, exotic prints and vivid brights that steal everyone’s eyes. While this style is a fantastic everyday wear, you can also combine it with more dressy clothes for a special occasion.
So pair your fun spring dresses, light jackets, stylish skirts and pants with the season’s hottest shoes for ultimate style and comfort.
March 28, 2012
Twice As Young & Timeless Video
March 27, 2012
One third of all Americans (both men and women) suffer from bloating. Bloating is an uncomfortable build up of air in the digestive tract that can add up to 3 inches to the waste line. While 20 % of the gas in our digestive tract is from air that we swallow, the other 80 % is from digestive processes. When the bacteria in our system digest the food we eat they release gas a byproduct.
- Carbonated beverages/artificial sweeteners
- Certain fruits and vegetables: beans, potatoes, broccoli, brussel sprouts and bananas often have sugars and starches that are harder to digest
- Impure water sources
What can we do?
- Try “Beano”- helps prevent gas, bloating, and other digestive problems after eating certain foods
- Avoid artificial sweeteners
- Avoid gluten- gluten intolerance has increase 4 fold in the last few decades
- Avoid lactose- either with “Lactaid” type products that have the necessary enzymes for digestion or milk substitutes such as soy or rice based products that are lactose free
- Simethicone- is used to treat the symptoms of gas and can be found in products such as Mylanta and Rolaids.
Source: Dr. OZ on Good Morning America
March 26, 2012
Skin Vitamins You Must Know About
The most important thing you can do for your skin and your body is to eat a well balanced diet, concentrating on lots of fruits and vegetables and protein at every meal.
Here is what you should aim for: Divide your plate in half; fill one half with fruits and brightly colored vegetables. Divide the other half into two equal parts; fill one part with lean protein (chicken, fish, eggs); the remaining portion with high quality starch (brown rice, quinoa, beans, sweet potatoes).
However, it is not always possible to eat the healthy way because of our hectic schedules. It is a good idea to take a well-balanced multivitamin as an insurance policy. Beyond this, check with your doctor about the vitamins and minerals you may be missing in your diet that should be added orally.
This is what we know can help make us beautiful with radiant glowing skin:
- Antioxidants – Almost all fresh fruits and vegetables contain some antioxidants. I love citrus fruits; I eat lots of fresh oranges, grapefruits and drink lemon juice.
- B Complex Vitamins – the ‘Beauty’ B vitamin is biotin. It can be found in bananas, eggs and oatmeal.
- Silica – Silica is a mineral that is great for your hair, nails, skin and bones. I supplement with a Biosil capsule daily. Not only is it wonderful for your skin but it is great for your hair, nails and bones.
- Sulphur – Sulphur works wonders to keep us young and beautiful. It is found in eggs, asparagus, kale, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and cabbage. If you eat these foods, you do not need to supplement.
For more information about beauty vitamins and minerals, visit “Nutrients for Healthy Skin: Inside and Out” on WebMD.
March 23, 2012
Boosters for Spring
Here are the skin boosting steps for a healthy, glowing, youthful skin for spring:
Exfoliation – Take your skin to another level by considering a 2-step salon treatment that you can use at home such as Young & Appealing Exfoliation Pads. This is the only at-home salon quality 2-part exfoliating system that I know of, where the exfoliation is followed by a calming, soothing, neutralizing pad. It is the most exfoliation you can do at home without harming your skin.
Masks – Using any mask gives you immediate improvement in your skin. And a super mask such as the Line Lifting Therapy Treatment Mask will give you salon results at home. Before getting photographed or going on air, I always make sure to give myself a super treatment to have glowing, youthful skin. I do two masks for 15-20 minutes each - the Line Lifting Therapy Treatment and Dry Parts Moisture Mask – one after the other as two separate processes.
Serums – These are boosters to our daytime and nighttime regimen, boosting the effectiveness of the formulas we use on a regular basis. In fact, we can call them “the new toners” in that they are used right after cleansing and before moisturizing.
Layering – Layering is putting a two (or more) different creams on your face, one over the other. We do this is because different creams and formulas have different jobs and functions that cannot be carried out with one product alone. I apply a daytime moisturizer (Promises Delivered Neck Creamserum) and a night cream with more active ingredients and exfoliating properties (Awaken Even Younger) to maximize the amazing benefits of these formulas.
Salon Treatments – Everyone needs a facial 3-4 times a year. However, if you have serious skin issues that require special care such as extreme dryness, clogging, dead skin cell accumulation and rough texture, you should make an effort to get a monthly facial.
March 22, 2012
Spring Skirt Styles
With the weather getting warmer day by day, we know that the time to update that wardrobe has arrived. As you replace your winter clothes with your warm weather essentials, we suggest you pay special attention to the beautiful and chic skirt styles of the spring. Here are the top 3 styles on our list!
Maxi skirts – These floor length skirts are getting ready to take the spotlight once again this spring. Not only do they come in a variety of vivid, neutral and pastel colors, and beautiful prints (such as floral and animal prints), but they also come in many different designs. Pleated, draped, frilled, asymmetrical, straight – take your pick for your taste. Another perk? You can mix and match a maxi skirt with almost anything. Wear it with buttoned shirts or casual loose-fitting tops. You will turn heads with your sophisticated and charming spring style.
Pencil Skirts – Always in style, pencil skirts are a classic pick when it comes to elegant fashion. Whether you are at the office, out for dinner with friends and family or attending a cocktail party, the timeless piece is suitable for any occasion. For a fresh, spring-y twist, try out different color options as well as styles with lace up details and ruching.
Midi Skirts – Becoming a particularly popular trend this spring, this skirt is perfect for women of all ages and body shapes. If you would like to be a little bold and classy at the same time, it is just the right length, allowing you to show some leg, but not too much. Available in many bright and bold colors, patterns and prints, midi skirts are generally A-line or flared in shape – two very flattering styles for most body types especially pear shaped women.
With the many options the current season brings, beautiful skirts are available in every print, pattern and style – and even better – for every age and body type.
March 21, 2012
Skin Breakthrough Spring Serums Video
March 20, 2012
Green Juice for a Health Breakthrough
Green juice describes any juice made from predominantly green vegetables, though it can contain a combination of fruits and vegetables in a variety of colors. The typical rule of thumb is 60% dark leafy vegetables and 40% other vegetables or fruits. Green leafy vegetables contain the most vitamins and minerals, and you will feel the effects almost instantly.
“Green juices” aid in detoxification. Green-based, pressed vegetable juices are best for detoxification or during a juice fast. They are low in fiber (which frees up digestive energy), sugar (compared to more fruit-based juices) and loaded with vitamins, minerals, vegetable proteins and phytochemicals (which contribute to good health and disease prevention).
Green smoothies are delicious and good for you as well, but if the goal is detoxification stick to juices. Because green juices have no fiber, they are extremely efficient for the body to digest, allowing more time to be spent on healing and repair. Green vegetable juice provides nutrients to rebuild your body, in addition to helping with the release of toxins.
As I am writing to you, I am enjoying the “Green Monster,” ½ a cucumber, 1 bunch of grapes, two handfuls of broccoli florets, and a handful of pineapple.
Starting your day with a green juice or green smoothie will allow your body to continue its detoxification efforts throughout the morning, even if you are not doing an all day fast. Our esthetician swears by starting each day with green juice, to allow the body to continue to detoxify from consumption in the day before, and improve skin almost immediately.
Source: Greenlemonade.com, Myjuicecleanse.com
March 19, 2012
Serums do so many things that I am always shocked at their potential to repair our aging faces.
A short review: Serums are boosters. They make formulas used with them work even better. So, what is it that they actually do?
- Serums are highly active. These formulas are loaded with potent complexes and botanicals that really get results.
- These formulations are different in that they don’t contain feel-good, smell-good ingredients, moisture barriers, sunscreens or other ingredients that make us “like” beauty products.
- They have different delivery systems. Many serums use micro-sized particles to deliver all these active ingredients deeper into the skin.
- Most are in a thinner formula. They come in liquid, gel or fluid forms, and therefore, are more easily absorbed into the skin.
- They are very potent. They not only have multiple actives, but have the actives in higher percentages to deliver better results.
- It is important to choose the correct serum. Like other beauty products, serums can be formulated for a specific area, such as around the eyes, around the mouth, the neck and the face. Some multi-purpose serums have been tested for all of these areas.
For maximum results, exfoliate regularly, use your serums day and night, and make sure you use a moisturizer or a night cream on top to seal it into the skin.
March 16, 2012
Inner glow comes from being healthy, happy and confident. I have recently read two books that perfectly describe how to care for your body and your mind. The first one is a New York Times Bestseller called “Clean” by Dr. Alejandro Junger. It outlines a revolutionary program to restore the body’s natural ability to heal itself. Dr. Alejandro takes into hand the simple ways to detoxify and improve your health by eating pure, fresh, natural foods. His premise is that by having a health drink for breakfast, a complete, pure food lunch, and a health drink and/or soup at night, you will rid your body of chemicals and other impurities that keep your healing process from functioning efficiently.
The second book is “Hundred Simple Things You Can Do to Prevent Alzheimer’s” written by Jean Carper. I loved this book because - thank goodness I don’t have Alzheimer’s - she talks about how to maximize your memory and alertness, and improve your lifestyle to promote your full intellectual capacity before you actually see a decline. The book is easy to read because each of the concepts to improve your mind are outlined separately in its own chapter. Furthermore, some of it supports Dr. Alejandro’s concept.
Here are the golden rules – most of which we have heard many times - that I took away from the two books:
- Deep restful sleep aids healing.
- Pure natural food is our medicine.
- Anything in a box or a packaging is usually full of chemicals.
- Your positive state of mind controls your whole body. Every cell is listening to your brain. Make sure you keep it positive.
- Regular exercise is the fountain of youth. Just keep moving; you can’t beat walking.
- See your doctors regularly. Listen to your body for signs that it needs attention and medical assistance.
- Your social life and relationships are important to your well-being, especially as you get older.
- When you are happy, at peace and contented, everything falls into place better. Even in times of personal crises, do not let go of your calm, your peace and your sense of self.
Your inner glow radiates when you take care of your mind and your body. And it reflects on your self-confidence, happiness and inner peace as well as on your relationships with others.
March 15, 2012
Shape Up With Shapewear
With spring knocking on our doors, it is time to dig out those bright colored, light weight clothes that we’ve been hiding in the back of our closets all winter long. The change in our wardrobes - and the thought of wearing more figure baring and curve revealing clothes all of a sudden - might leave us feeling a little self-conscious. After all, the extra weight, the lumps and bumps that we’ve been hiding all winter will no longer be buried under multiple layers… But have no fear, because shapewear is here!
Shapewear and body shapers are the secret weapons of many women around the world for a number of reasons. Not only do they help reduce dress size, but they also smooth extra bulges, lift sagging parts of the body and straighten the posture. And the boost in confidence is the bonus!
With new technology in fabrics, design and manufacturing techniques, these miracle inventions have become quite popular in the recent years. Spanx by designer Laura Blakely has not only become a celebrity favorite and a red carpet must-have, but also a daily necessity for many women for its ability to make the body look flawlessly lean.
Due to their higher compression fabrics and amazing technology, many basics – from Spanx, YummieTummie and other popular brands – can deliver dramatic results, leading to body contouring and lipo effects.
Whether you are planning to wear a sophisticated evening gown, a chic lightweight dress, a stylish skirt or a nice blouse with a thin pair of pants, we suggest you consider trying out tights and hosiery, bras and high-waisted underwear, and shapewear for your midsection from one of the popular body-shaping brands. With their miracle undergarments, you will have smaller waists, lifted busts and butts, and shapely legs – and smiling faces full of confidence this spring.
Best Shapewear For You, Fashion Trends in Shapewear and Body Shapers, Spanx by Sara Blakely- Official Website
March 14, 2012
Faux Glow Video
March 13th, 2012
Seeds of Health
Seeds are packed with fiber, vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids. Here are some suggestions for these nutritional powerhouses and how to add them to your diet::
- Hemp: is a complete protein, meaning it contains all 9 essential amino acids. This plant based source is basically the same as eating an egg. It has a mild flavor that can be enjoyed in a smoothie, protein shake, or sprinkled over fruit.
- Wheat Germ: is high in foliate, which is important for women of child bearing age because it fights off the risk of birth defects. Often found in cereal, wheat germ can be added to granola, put in smoothies, or sprinkled over fruit and cottage cheese.
- Sunflower Seeds: are high in Vitamin E, which fights off skin damage, including wrinkles. These can be enjoyed in salads, baked goods, granola, or in real American tradition on the baseball field.
- Pumpkin Seeds: are rich in phytosterols, which can reduce blood levels of cholesterol and enhance immune response. Pumpkin seeds can be added to baked goods, granola, or salads.
- Flax Seeds: are rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6 essential fatty acids, potassium, and calcium. They are high in fiber, which reduces constipation and bloating.
- Chia Seeds: are packed with age defying anti-oxidants, Omega-3s and more calcium than whole milk by weight. Chia seeds help keep you feeling full longer and help control blood sugar levels. They can be added to anything from smoothies to pudding to salad dressings, and the gel can be substituted for half of the oil or butter in baked goods.
Source: Adapted from NBC TODAY Show 3.8.12
March 12, 2012
Brighten Up Your Face
As I walk down the streets of Manhattan, I see dull, gray, frowning faces. We don’t like cold weather with all these layers of clothes. We stay in our apartments way too much and tend to exercise even less. Spring has arrived; it is time to get your glow going and brighten up your winter-weary face.
Here are a few simple suggestions for instant brightness:
- Put highlights in your hair around your face. Your eyes will sparkle.
- Use a Young Glow!Pearlized Underbase under foundation or instead of it.
- Apply a brighter lipstick instead of your usual neutral.
- Change your nail polish. Consider a clear tone in your favorite shade.
- Apply a pearlized blush to the apples of your cheeks and blend it high on the cheek bones. Your whole face will look more lifted.
- Consider a bronzer. A light application will make you look like you just came back from St. Barth’s. It will enliven your face.
- Whiten your teeth. Let your dentist suggest what will work best for you.
- Get a haircut. Go to the very best stylist you can afford. Bring pictures. Make sure they understand exactly what you want.
- Buy a pair of colored shoes. They will not reflect on your face but you’ll be so happy wearing them that you’ll be smiling.
- Your skin needs circulation. Get outside and exercise.
- Have a professional exfoliation treatment. I love microdermabrasion.
- If you’ve never tried it, microcurrent, a salon procedure, will temporarily give you a firmer, more lifted look.
- Consider lash extensions. This is really a splurge but it makes you look amazing.
- Have your eyebrows professionally shaped.
- Start putting highlighter on the brow bone.
Keep smiling. It will brighten up your face and make you feel brighter too!
March 9, 2012
Treatment Room Results At Home
Spring is in the air. We are rethinking everything, especially our wardrobe. It’s the time to shake up your skincare regimen and wash away the woes of winter.
Most of us are too busy in our day-to-day lives to consider using beauty masks. I want you to consider the benefits of an at-home facial.
Set aside 45 minutes…I know this sounds like a lot but the results are worth it. Here is how to get started:
- Exfoliate. Use our Young & Appealing salon system for gentle but potent exfoliation. This 2-part system is the closest treatment I have ever found to what we actually do during our in-salon facial. This step will remove dead skin cells and irregular texture while soften the effects of discoloration, giving your face a smoother look overall.
- Line Lifting Mask. A face lift in two little jars! This is a tightening, slimming, and total face-rejuvenating treatment. What do I mean by “slimming”? This mask dries so tight and firm on your face that it eliminates excess puffiness and other fluid retention that is making our aging ages look bloated. It helps to penetrate active ingredients in the formula deeper into the skin surface. Do not talk or move for 20-30 minutes while this is on your face. Try not to crack the mask as that will reduce the benefits. After the mask has fully dried, it is best to remove it in the shower or with multiple warm damp washcloths.
- Dry Parts Moisture Mask. This is the icing on the cake. One of the results of the previous mask is that your skin is better able to absorb after it is removed. Deep hydration like you have never seen before will take place with the Dry Parts mask. Keep it on your face for 10-15 minutes before washing off.
I love how my “immediately younger” face looks after this 3 part at-home treatment. Many of our clients insist that they look even better on the second and third day.
I would love to hear about your results. Email me at email@example.com.
March 8, 2012
Spring Forecast: Bold & Bright
With the gradual arrival of a long waited spring, bold, eye-catching shades and vivid brights are making their grand entrance. So bring a little energy and perhaps a dash of happiness to your look by incorporating these springy hues into your fashion picks.
Tangerine, poppy red, rosy-red, sweet lilac, fuchsia pink, bright yellow, mustard yellow, grass green, deep purple, ink blue, and marine blue are only a few of the refreshing, vibrant hues that will brighten up your day and your wardrobe.
You can pair these lively shades with softer neutral earthy tones, such as smooth honey, sandy hues, beiges, and soft greys. Such color combination and blending of bold brights and soft muted tones will create a contrast to balance out the color palette of your outfit. It will also tone down the brights to create a more subtle yet still bold and elegant look.
If you would like to go extra bold and daring, feel free to combine two or three bold and bright colors together. It is important to make sure that when you are mixing multiple bold and bright colors – instead of adding a neutral shade – that the shades you pick are in harmony and complement one another to create a combination visually appealing to the eye.
Need tips? Here are a few colors that look great together:
- Deep purple and orange
- Yellow and turquoise
- Violet and yellow
- Light blue-green and fuchsia
- Hot pink and light purple
- Grass green, orange and white
- Navy blue with white and maroon or red.
- Soft rose pink and mint green
- Mint Green and cocoa brown
With the help of heavenly colors and a sophisticated style, we know you will be bringing spring with you everywhere you go…
March 7, 2012
Beauty Sleep With Awaken Miraculously Younger
March 6, 2012
Oils: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Oils are fat, but they can be healthy fat that is full of flavor. A tablespoon of any oil from a plant source contains 120 calories and 14 grams of fat, but the nutrition and mix of healthy vs. unhealthy fats can vary.
- Olive Oil-is known for its heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids. It is very low in Omega-6 and high in flavanoids.
- Canola Oil-has the lowest saturate fat content of any oil. Choose Organic and expeller pressed varieties; otherwise it can be high in pesticides and subject to high heat during processing which counteracts the Omega-3s.
- Coconut Oil-while high in saturated fat, unrefined and virgin coconut oil is high in lauric acid and low in Omega-6. Hydrogenated Coconut Oil on the other hand is high in trans fats.
- Cottonseed Oil-has the worst Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratio of any oil. It is usually refined, deodorized, and bleached, and therefore there are genetic modification/environmental concerns.
- Corn Oil-is also usually refined, deodorized, and bleached, and therefore there are genetic modification/environmental concerns.
- Soybean Oil-unless it is organic, Soybean oil is usually refined, deodorized, and bleached, and is probably genetically modified.
- Pesticides-oils, unless they are organic, such as Corn, Cottonseed, Palm & Palm Kernel can be high in pesticides.
- “Bad Fat”- Saturate or trans fats are considered bad fats, as are oils high in Omega-6. Grain-fed Butter is high in both saturated fats and Omega-6; where as Grass-fed Butter is low in Omega-6 and a good source of Conjugated Linoleic Acid.
- Genetically Modified-oils that are refined at high temperatures can be genetically modified, counteracting their good properties.
March 5, 2012
Using Complimentary Products to Improve Results
- Like cooking, some ingredients in formulas just work great together.
Example: Herbs with proteins (peptides)
- The same goes for complete formulas.
Example: a serum and a moisturizer
- When combining products in different layers on your face or body, the best results will come from formulas from the same company.
Example: Our Neck Appeal Exfoliating Pads and our Coneflower Neckline Firmer Cream
- Understand the primary job for a product and don’t duplicate.
Example: Two exfoliants
- Be careful and test for sensitivities on the inside of your arm.
- Look for lots of botanicals with names of plants that you understand
- Great synergy will not only create better results but will also make you want to use these combinations together.
March 2, 2012
Calluses, Corns, Bunions and Cracked Heels
Calluses, corns, bunions and cracked heels…All of these foot disorders seem to get worse every age. I have them all. Here is how I have helped myself to improve my aging feet.
- Calluses & Corns : Both are caused by various forms of rubbing our feet in our shoes. Make sure your shoes fit. One foot is always bigger than the other. Use pads and soles, heel grips and other inserts to prevent the rubbing. Your pedicurist can help you keep these under control as well as regular exfoliation at home.
- Bunions: I have bunions on both feet. Bunions are caused by a weak muscle in your instep that causes the bone below the base of your big toe to protrude. It is mostly an inherited condition that can be exhilarated by improper shoe fit and heels. I stopped the progression of this degeneration and the pain caused by it with Pilates exercises for my feet. Stretch your toes open, interlace your fingers around them, rotate them back and forth and stretch them out. Repeat this daily.
- Cracked Heels: Try our Intensive Heeling Dry Foot Formula; I know of no other product that could heal my cracked and bleeding heels that were in pain, better. I have shared it with so many friends who have had the same improvement. I can’t go one day without this product; in fact it has made my feet as smooth as a baby’s behind. Use the Intensive Heeling Dry Foot Formula daily for maximum results.
I was spokesperson for Dr Scholl’s for several years. I have learned an incredible amount on taking care of your feet when I was on their Experts Foot Council. If your feet hurt, nothing else works. Take care of this vital part of your anatomy.
March 1, 2012
Shopping In Your Own Closet
We all know fashion trends come and go. But we also know what “goes” also “comes back!” From the popularity of vintage clothing and retro looks in the recent years, we can safely say fashion recycles itself and certain styles always make a big comeback. If you know how to recycle your clothes and “shop in your own closet”, that can be huge perk for your style AND your wallet!
Look into your closet and separate out the clothing items you have purchased, loved and worn over the years. Chances are you will find all kinds of treasure: classic and flattering styles, your favorite patterns and colors, vintage cuts and fits with a little edge and twist, and most importantly, items that reflect you and your unique taste in fashion. Try them on and determine which ones still suit your body and your tastes. Then, pair these vintage styles up with current trends. Not only will you have a unique look and a fashionable style, but you will also have a full wardrobe of clothes and accessories you love to wear and that suit you instead of purchasing new ones that you throw out every season when the new fashion wave hits.
Experiment with what you own and invent new uses for old outfits that you find at that deep dark end of your closet. You will be surprised and amazed at how many beautiful and unique looks you will pull off by mixing-and-matching your clothes from different time periods. Also, keep in mind that sometimes pieces that you used to wear together might look better on their own - especially when it comes to a new chic outfit and a refreshed look.
Found an old cashmere or silk sweater? Leggings? A glamorous vintage dress? Do not be afraid to wear clothes that you used to love and have worn over the years. Get creative by pairing them up with different items and newer styles. Go for classic looks and styles that suit your taste, body type and age. We guarantee you will be pleased with what you discover from shopping in your own closet!
February 29, 2012
Sagging Solutions & Heeling Soles
"Body Lifting" Video
February 28, 2012
This term typically applies to comfort foods popular in the American South, including
macaroni and cheese, fried chicken, collard greens, and fried okra, to name a few. Soul
food, is a meal that when enjoyed feeds your soul, not just your stomach.
Anyone from the South or who has lived in the South for a period of time can tell you
their favorite spot for fall-off-the-bone ribs or fried chicken and waffles, whether it is
Gladys Knights in Atlanta or Sylvia’s in Harlem.
Every ethnic group has what it considers "soul food," comfort food that brings back fond
memories of family dinners, where the main ingredient is LOVE. A quick office survey
tells us that soul food really depends on where you are from. For one Southern breed
staffer it is sweet potato pie, collard greens, and macaroni and cheese; for our Southern
educated staff member the specific food item is not as important as it being cooked at
home; while for another, who hails from New England, visions of fried turkey with all
the fixins’ on Thanksgiving come flooding back.
Be sure to make healthy choices when enjoying this amazing cuisine, watch for items
high in trans fat and salt, opt for broiled or baked versions and low salt options whenever
possible. Well spiced menu items will make up for the lack of fat and salt when well
Soul food is making its debut in the world of haute cuisine, so be sure to keep a lookout
for new restaurants and menu items popping up in your area. For authentic Southern
Soul Food recipes visit the Modern Comfort Food section of Bon Appétit.com.
Sources: Bon Appétit.com
February 27, 2012
Aging Skin Healers
There are many theories about how to best treat aging skin. Certain theories focus on understanding how wounded skin heals. Such wound healing theories treat aging skin as “damaged skin”, and are based on ancient folk history when native people used certain botanicals to repair their skin.
- Coneflower - The flower of the Echinacea plant was used by Native Americans on their wounds. It was so potent that they called it the “snakebite plant”.
- Centella Asiatica - Native to Asia, this plant is also called “tiger grass” because wounded tigers would roll in it to heal.
- Ahnfeltia Concinna - A marine botanical that has been harvested by native people to put on open wounds.
- Aloe Barbandensis Leaf - Also used by Native Americans, the sap of this plant is put on all kinds of open wounds and burns for its healing properties.
Our promotion this week consists of Coneflower Neckline &Decollete Crepey Bodyskin Firmer (8oz) and our Intensive Heeling Dry Foot Formula Cream - both of which contain the amazing and potent botanicals mentioned above. They work.
February 24, 2012
We know from scientific research in many different fields that there is a widely held belief that most great scientific discoveries come from accidents. I have observed this same phenomenon in using beauty products in different ways. I recently shared with you how after a long airline trip my extremely dry skin just needed more then my daily moisturizer. I layered a second cream, a night cream, over Promises Delivered. I was shocked at how plump, moist and smooth I looked after this accident.
I have to constantly experiment to develop new products and as a result I use my existing formulas in crazy ways. One of my favorites is to take our Dry Parts Moisture Mask and put it on my dry hair as a treatment before shampooing. Wow, my aging hair is transformed to the 25 year old locks I use to have.
One of my great luxuries for many years is putting the Coneflower Neckline firmed on as my body cream. What a pleasure to put this sumptuous feeling formula onto my dry arms and legs. You can only imagine how beautiful my aging body skin became.
I am sure you love to experiment with your skincare formulas as well. A few tips…be careful that the formulas that you have used have been tested for skin sensitivity. If you are not sure about this, patch test in the crook of your arm, putting the formula on and a band-aid over it, and leaving it for 24 hours. When you remove the band-aid if there is any redness, irritation, itching or any signs of problem do not use this formula for any other area then the one recommended in the instructions.
I would love to hear about your beauty experiments. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have fun with your experiments!
February 23, 2012
TOP FASHION MISTAKES TO AVOID
1) Clothes that are too tight or too big
Avoid wearing clothes that are too tight or too baggy. Not only are they uncomfortable but they are also quite unflattering for your figure. Wearing baggy clothes in the hopes of looking thinner can make one look untidy, careless and even older. Similarly, too tight clothing can make one look bigger and chunkier. Choose fashionable and classy clothes that fit your style and figure just right for an enhanced look that you will pull off with confidence
2) Wrinkled Clothes
It’s important to iron your clothes, and fold and hang them neatly. Wearing wrinkled or crumpled clothing makes you look careless, untidy and not presentable. It also shows a lack of sense for style. In the workplace, wrinkled clothes may show you to be highly unprofessional and not serious.
3) Stylish Uncomfortable Shoes
Stylish yet uncomfortable shoes are not only extremely painful but they are also very bad for your feet, body, posture. Wearing shoes according to your dress, occasion and most importantly shoes that are comfortable can enhance your style and confidence.
4) Matching from Head to Toe
Pink dress, pink jacket, pink scarf, pink bag and glasses. Clothes and accessories matching from head to toe are too much. It shows a poor choice and understanding of fashion and style. If you are trying to add matching colors to your outfit, try to be more subtle by using accessories of complimentary shades.
5) Too Many Colors
Too many colors in an outfit is not appealing to the eye, and may be overwhelming to look at. Too many prints, colors, designs, styles can lead to a visual confusion as well as a disastrous outfit. Keep things simple yet classy and chic. Try to stick to 3-4 colors maximum in one outfit to give the eyes a pleasant sight.
6) Over Accessorizing
Loading too many accessories on, or mixing in a lot of jewelry of different kinds are a fashion no-no. Avoid wearing gold earrings with a silver necklace, for example. Or wearing chunky jewelry with a headband, a scarf and a belt altogether. The overflow of chains, rings and accessories can easily steal the attention. In fact, they can overshadow positive things, such as your beautiful dress or your glowing face.
7) Revealing Clothing That Shows Too Much Cleavage or Leg
Too much cleavage or too much leg may simply be just “too much”, period. There are better ways to look sexy yet classy without showing anything. Wear a flattering bootcut pant or a pencil skirt with a button down silk blouse. You’ll still turn heads, but in a positive way.
February 22, 2012
CONEFLOWER EYELINE FIRMER LIFTS YOUR EYES AND YOUR FACE
February 21, 2012
Protect Your Smile as You Age
Without knowing it we associate a dull smile with being older, as tooth enamel tends to wear with age. Protect your smile from aging prematurely with the following healthy habits.
•Avoid Teeth-Staining Offenders: such as drinking coffee, red wine, soda and
especially smoking, which can all dull the whiteness of teeth. Not only does
smoking stain your teeth, it ages the skin prematurely and causes wrinkles around
•Use a Straw: while giving up coffee or soda may not seem do-able for everyone,
try sipping through a straw to limit contact with teeth and help preserve enamel.
•Boost Calcium Consumption: it makes for strong bones and a healthy grin.
•Maintain Good Oral Care Routines: Brush twice daily with tooth paste that
contains fluoride, floss daily, rinse with mouth wash to relieve germs and bad
breath, and whiten when your pearly whites start to lose their luster.
•Drink More Tea: the antioxidants in green and black tea help fight plaque,
prevent gum disease and reduce bad breath causing germs.
Don’t Forget to Smile! You will always look younger and more energetic with a smile on your face.
Sources: Prevention.com, Health Magazine
February 20, 2012
Instantly Younger with Specialized Technologies
It is really challenging to make aging skin look immediately younger. We experimented with several of these new technologies and have found two of them that deliver the best results. What are they?
Silicate Film Firmers…instantly watch your wrinkles smooth away! The downside to this method is that the film is not flexible and the instructions must be followed perfectly.
- UnWrinkle uses this complex and is a runaway success.
Hollow Filling Spheres…plump up aging, sagging and wrinkled faces from inside the skin. We have three formulas using Wrinkle Targeting Complex with this method. They are:
Results take up to one hour to fully develop. Tighter, firmer and smoother benefits are amazing. Try all of these together and see what happens!
February 17, 2012
How to Layer Skincare Products
There is great value in layering several skincare formulas on your aging face. The reason for doing this is that we don’t have the technology to put all of these different types of formulas into one jar. The best results will come from layering them in the right order.
This concept is based on how formulas are absorbed into the skin. The lightest textured products go first and heavier formulas are layered over them.
After cleansing and using treatment products (exfoliators, masks etc), layer in the following order.
1) Liquids…Toners, fresheners, serums or prescription formulas
2) Gels… Eye formulas, moisturizers, serums
3) Lotions… Thin creams that are pumped out of their packaging.
4) Creams… Most skin care formulas come in this form.
5) Balms…Usually for lips or around eyes.
Other Things to Remember
- Moisturizers and eye products can come in different forms and thicknesses; they can be gels, lotions or creams.
- If two products are the same form, it doesn’t matter which goes first, such as a cream moisturizer and an eye cream.
- Serums can be in any form; liquids, gels, lotions or creams.
February 16, 2012
MOISTURIZE YOUR HAIR
Too frequent visits to the hair salon for a dye job or a blow-dry, and using too much hair styling products too often – such as hairspray and gel –can leave your strands dull, weak and lifeless looking. Add the current cold, dry weather and an unbalanced diet to the mix, and you’ve stripped your hair of its natural shine, moisture, protein levels. And its ability to recover, unfortunately, slows down and decreases as we age.
So what are the secrets to healthy, shiny, gorgeous looking hair? How do we moisturize and take care of our hair in the best way? Here are some tips that every woman should take to heart:
- Avoid washing your hair daily. Shampoo twice or three times a week to let your hair “breathe” and retain its necessary moisture. The more frequent you wash it, the more dull and dry your hair will become. And it is harder for your hair to recover the more you age.
- Water is essential for hair to maintain its elasticity, or ability to stretch. Since water is the ultimate moisturizer, water-based products are best for the greatest moisture benefit.
- After shampooing, use a conditioner with moisturizing properties and other specific moisturizer sprays or creams. Such moisturizing products contain large amounts of protein which is essential for shiny, healthy strands.
- Use jojoba oil for regaining the shine and brightness of your hair, as its molecular structure is very similar to your natural hair moisturizer. Use this oil as an overnight as well as a daily treatment for the hair.
- There are other efficient natural oils that provide nutrients, antioxidants and vitamins vital for your hair and scalp: Argan, olive, ylang-ylang, almond, avocado, rosemary essential oil, wheat germ oil, shea oil and herbal oils. Mix one of these oils with honey and then apply it as a mask for the hair.
- Apply tomato juice or tomato paste as mask to your hair every once in a while. These will enhance the natural PH of the hair due to the vitamin C content.
- Especially during the summer, avoid over-exposure to the sun and heat without protecting the hair.
- In addition to consuming protein packed food (meat, eggs, yogurt, milk, beans etc.), bananas, coffee and chamomile tea will also help your hair shine the natural way.
February 15, 2012
Wrinkle Firming Finish Formulas Video
February 14, 2012
Calcium, as we know, is very important for healthy bones and teeth. Here are some tips to help your body absorb this essential nutrient:
- Vitamin D boosts calcium absorption. Vitamin D can be found in fortified dairy products, mushrooms, and sun light.
- Magnesium increases calcium absorption. Most nuts, especially pistachios, are high in magnesium.
- Foods with Vitamin C, such as orange juice, strawberries and broccoli, help your body better absorb the calcium it takes in.
- Bananas help your body to absorb calcium and other nutrients, such as magnesium, that promote healthy bones.
- Reduce the amount of sodium in your diet. When your liver processes salt it pulls calcium from bones and teeth.
- Avoid calcium inhibitors such as chocolate, coffee and other caffeinated beverages, alcohol, sugar and any other sweetener (honey, agave, etc.).
- Avoid eating high-fiber foods with calcium-rich foods because fiber can hinder your body's ability to effectively absorb calcium. For example, eating grilled cheese on fiber dense whole wheat bread will decrease the amount of calcium your body is able to absorb.
- Exercise regularly to reduce calcium loss and increase bone mass
Dairy foods generally contain the most concentrated amounts of calcium, but there are many other good sources of calcium, including rice milk, soy milk, beans, soybeans, tofu, salmon, orange juice, broccoli, rhubarb, kale, and calcium fortified cereal
Sources: Health Magazine, Livestrong.com, EMedicineHealth.com
February 13, 2012
E.M.S. to the Rescue!
Exfoliate - Moisturize – Serum
As we age, exfoliation becomes more important. Dead skin cells that accumulate on the surface do not shed as efficiently as they did when we were younger. This accumulation makes your skin look rough, dry, tired and older. It is my preference that this process be done with exfoliating pads or with fruit acids or enzymes that are part of formulas. Mature skin should not be using grains or mechanical forms of exfoliation because this skin is more fragile.
Now, moisturization is really crucial. Not only to protect your more delicate aging skin but also to fully hydrate, plump up and smooth out faux wrinkles. Most people need to use multiple layering formulas to achieve maximum protection and hydration. Consider layering two different moisturizing formulas. I love applying Promises Delivered CreamSerum and then layering our Awaken Even Younger Night Cream for an amazing surge of hydration that lasts throughout the day and fills in every little faux wrinkle.
Serums are potent formulas with active ingredients. They are high powered and absorbed quickly by the skin. They get the job done because each ingredient has a specific task to improve aging skin. They are the secret boosters that will take your skin to the next level. They can be moisturizing, exfoliating, firming, or designed to specifically diffuse wrinkles. Use them under your moisturizers day and night to see the difference.
I have always loved this expression: Behind every successful man, there is a woman. Well, behind every beautiful mature skin, there are these three formulas.
February 10, 2012
Hide & Conceal Tricks
Concealing can be one of your best anti-aging secrets! With the right product and professional tools you can whisk away most signs of aging. You need three concealers and various professional applicators.
Red neutralizer No. 2 (or Red Neutralizer Original Formula while supplies last)
This formula applied with your fingers or with a sponge applicator will cover and neutralize red spots or all over redness on your face. It is fabulous.
Wrinkle Treatment Concealer
Wrinkles look like dark marks on our face. By putting “light” in the depth of the wrinkle, we make them look softer. This formula comes with its own brush applicator. Pat with the tip of your finger to blend. You’ll be amazed.
- FOR DARKNESS AROUND YOUR EYES:
Darkness around your eyes is not only under the eye but also on your upper eyelid. Apply this product with our concealer brush. Putting extra product close to the inside of your eye (next to your nose) will give more coverage and open up your eye. The texture of this product is awesome.
Concealer Pencil (Duo or Single)
For aging lips, use a concealer pencil. Follow the edge of the upper lip to prevent lipstick bleeding. “Lift” the corners of the lower lip by going inside the lip line to make the lower lip smile even when the mouth is in repose. Pat to blend and then apply lip liner and lipstick. The concealer around your lips will de-age your whole lower face.
Perfecting these concealing techniques will instantly make you look younger.
February 9, 2012
DRESS TO DISGUISE YOUR STOMACH
Every beautiful woman has a trouble body part but the trick is to know how to camouflage these parts. If you are carrying some extra pounds in the middle, hiding the bulge can be tricky but luckily, fashion is on your side! Hide that stomach with the help of cute tops and dresses, chic accessories, sophisticated style. Instead of turning to oversized clothing to cover it up, try these fashion picks below for the best tummy-hiding results!
Available in many beautiful colors and elegant styles, wrap dresses are comfortable, easy to wear and the ultimate go-to item to hide the stomach. Because of their design, you can flaunt your style (and your gorgeous dress) without having to suck that stomach in! Pick up a flattering design from Diane von Furstenberg or another brand of your choice.
Flowing lightweight tunics are a very flattering item for every woman. They are feminine and they accentuate just the right parts, drawing attention to the curves while hiding the stomach bulge. You can pair them up with pants AND pencil skirts. Whatever you choose to wear it with, tunics will help you look slimmer and trimmer.
For the office or for formal events, throw on a fitted blazer and you will be surprised at what it does for your figure! Go for styles with nips at the waist. We suggest blazers made of softer fabrics with a little bit of a stretch to spotlight your curves and hide your tummy.
A blouse that has rouching will work like a charm when trying to disguise trouble body parts, especially around the stomach area. This style is perfect at creating the illusion of a thinner middle because the extra draping hides any extra bulges.
Empire Waist Blouses and Dresses
A blouse or a dress with an empire waist is another fashion item perfect for concealing the extra midsection weight. Because the empire waist is fitted right under your bust, it drapes down nicely without clinging your body.
February 8, 2012
RED NEUTRALIZER & CONCEALER APPLICATION VIDEO
February 7, 2012
Hide from a Cold
Inconsistent temperatures this winter season have resulted in cold and flu like viruses spreading throughout offices, schools, and exercise facilities. Avoid coming down with a life interrupting virus by following these simple steps:
- Staying inside your nice toasty home or apartment might seem like the best way to avoid a cold, but being cooped up keeps you in close contact to other people and their germs. Get outside for some fresh air to avoid all those germs and boost immunity.
- Stress increases susceptibility to catching a cold. Relax, make sure you get enough sleep and eat right, and do not cheat yourself out of time to exercise.
- Wash your hands! Viruses can survive on tables and doorknobs for up to eight hours.
- Get some sleep! Continuous lack of sleep can hurt immunity and also increase risk of diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and depression. Anything less than 7 hours of sleep a night nearly triples your risk of catching a cold.
Source: Health Magazine
February 6, 2012
What is Diffused Redness?
Diffused redness comes from several different conditions. Most commonly, it is the result of rosacea, a medical disorder that needs to be attended by a dermatologist. Sun damage, laser treatments, exfoliants and chemical peels, can also contribute to this condition. So what can we do? To my knowledge there is no cure for any of these conditions and the best solution is to learn how to camouflage them and adjust your life style for prevention.
There are many different ways to conceal redness. What we need to do is use the least amount of product possible to get the best coverage. After many years of studying this, I came to understand that using khaki colored pigments that contain yellow, green, and blue shades will neutralize red coloring in the skin using less product. This concept of neutralizing a color and covering it was a new concept when we began doing so more than 20 years ago. Red Neutralizer #2, our formula for covering these various reddish conditions, is so unique that I am after all this time still amazed by the results it delivers. I am very fair and have diffused redness from sun damage I acquired growing up inSouth Texasas a child. I am extremely fair and every morning when I put this khaki colored concealer on my face I am astounded by how this product darker then my skin color produces an even toned skin.
For more than 20 years, I would help out doing make-ups in our salon. I rarely saw a face that could not use this product. Everyone needed it around their eyes. Both under the eye where the darkness has a purplish tone and on the eye lid where the skin is especially thin and reddish. This one shade works for all skin colors from medium-dark to the fairest porcelain tones. It diffuses the redness and blends to match your skin shade. This cult following product is in such demand that we scurry to keep up our supplies. Use it on clean, moisturized skin before applying foundation.
Join the cult!
February 3, 2012
Diane’s Makeup Secrets
When people talk about makeup, they think about putting blush, lipstick and color on their face. But for aging faces, it is correcting with concealers and primers that really make your skin look younger. My best tips are the following:
Use two shades of Extreme Dark Circles Hibiscus Concealer.
- Apply Peach from upper eye lid from lash to brow line and Khaki underneath.
Perfect Skin Instantly:
Apply 3 layers.
- Invisible Foundation of Youth For Pores for texture.
- Red Neutralizer No 2 to even out skin tones.
- Foundation of Youth to bring back youthful color and glow.
For younger brows, use two colors.
- Brow Lift in Smoke at the beginning fuller part of the brow blending to the arch.
- Then, use Blonde at the outer edge and “tail”.
Upper Lip Lines:
- Paint Un-Wrinkle into the vertical lines above the lips.
- Use Feather Proof Lip Duo’s wax end over entire upper lip.
- Apply Young Glow! Pearlized Underbase at the top edge of your blush to create a lift.
- Paint a thin line in the bottom of smile lines using Wrinkle Treatment Concealer Pen.
Drooping Lip Corners:
Corners of lips fall as we age.
- Lift them up by “painting away” the drooping edge with a thin line of C-Circles Vanish going in an upward motion in the lower corners.
- Follow this new “boundary” of your lower lip corner with your lip pencil and lipstick.
February 2, 2012
The Right Neckline Will Flatter You In Every Way
We all know that it is the little details that count when it comes to putting together a fashionable and a flattering outfit. These “little details” often brings to mind accessories of all sorts – jewelry, scarves, shoes, purses etc. The one detail that’s often overlooked? Necklines. Have you ever considered the importance of your clothes’ neckline in creating a stylish and flattering look? Choosing clothes with the right neckline can make a world’s difference because they will flatter your face, your neck, and your chest. They also draw attention to the positive aspects of your body while taking attention away from the negative. We have listed several options for you below:
- Turtlenecks the safest stylish choice for almost every woman – flattering for many faces shapes and body types. Because the turtleneck covers the neck, it especially balances and flatters figures with long torsos, making the body seem more proportional. Those with long necks and long faces also benefit greatly from this neckline. Furthermore, the turtleneck is a great choice when it comes to chic and classy fashion. Flattering for all ages and appropriate for any type of event no matter how formal or casual, you will not go wrong with the endless choices of beautiful turtleneck tops out there.
- V-neck is one of the most common and useful neckline cuts. Flattering for a wide range of face shapes, you will especially benefit from this neckline if you have a round or an oval shaped face. As V-necks come in a range of cuts, you can choose them according to your body shape as well. If you have broad shoulders, go for V-neck with smaller cuts to balance them with the rest of your body. If you have small and narrow shoulders, pick wider V-necks to appear more proportional. Also, keep in mind: Too deep and low V-necks can appear too youthful and even unflattering on mature women when not chosen correctly.
- The crewneck is a high and rounded neckline that rests on the collarbone. The cut is flattering for multiple reasons, as it balances out narrow necks, faces, shoulders and small chests. It is a great choice for most women and perfect for all ages! Pear-shaped figures especially benefit from this cut, as it balances out your upper and lower body. However, do be careful with this neckline if you have a lot of curves as it can make emphasize and make them appear bigger than they are.
- One of the most challenging necklines to wear, the empire neck is flattering for a very limited number of people. However, those who pull it off will look great. The empire neckline is the squarish shaped neckline that stops at a horizontal line on the chest area. While it allows the décolleté to be seen, it still is elegant and classy at the same time because the horizontal line that does not come off as too daring. The empire neckline, however, will work mainly with women who have round faces, prominent chests, and shorter necks.
- Scoop neck is the U shaped neckline and is the perfect choice for fuller figures. It makes the body and face appear slimmer, and is perfect for wide faced women.
In short, choosing the right neckline is crucial! The cuts that flatter your shape can help you appear taller, slimmer and more stylish. However, be careful with lower necklines, as there’s the risk of going too low and looking inappropriate.
February 1, 2012
DIANE'S MAKEUP FAVORITES AND APPLICATION TIPS
January 31, 2012
Truth About Sugar Substitutes
Sugar substitutes have grown in popularity as people look for ways to avoid the insulin response caused by sugar and decrease caloric intake without giving up flavor. Artificial sweeteners though are not without risk.
- Aspartame is a major ingredient in NutraSweet and Equal. Studies have shown Aspartame produces toxins that can harm brain functions. Aspartame has no nutrients, which causes cravings resulting in weight gain, and it also blocks the production of serotonin, interfering with pleasure and leading to depression.
- Sucralose is found in Splenda. This chemical substance contains chlorine and because it contains no nutrients starves cells, resulting in increased appetite and inevitably weight gain. Studies have shown that not only does sucralose cause shrunken thymus glands and enlarged liver and kidneys in rodents, it is a mild mutagen, which can result in slow growth cancer in humans.
- Saccharin, found in Sweet and Low, is a natural sugar from a plant imported fromChina. Previously studies had shown that saccharin caused cancer, although more recently the FDA has disputed this fact. However, not everyone enjoys the flavor of Sweet and Low.
- Stevia is a natural sugar substitute, not a chemical. The herb, used for more than 400 years inSouth America, has never been shown to produce adverse effects. Recent research suggests that Stevia helps prevent high blood pressure, improves urine output, and regulates the digestive tract. Stevia does not trigger an insulin response like other sugars and sugar substitute, and therefore does not cause cravings later. Stevia has grown in popularity and many companies now use Stevia in their labeling. Some companies mix stevia with other harmful sweeteners, such as sucralose. Be sure to read the ingredients when choosing a stevia product at your local grocer.
Source: Dr. Roni,Martha’s Vineyard Holistic Retreat
January 30, 2012
Diane’s Makeup Favorites
Previously, we have talked about the skincare products that I use daily. Today we are going to focus on my makeup favorites. Actually, they are more about preparing the skin than they are about color. For aging faces, these extra steps BEFORE makeup are the secrets to perfected skin and long lasting color.
Here is what I do:
- Red Neutralizer… This is the one formula I would take on a deserted island. I apply a thin layer all over my face and around my eyes. It fills in my open pores and sweeps away all traces of redness, pinkness and darkness around my eyes and on my face. My skin looks amazing. I can’t go one day without it.
- Beyond the Balm…My beautiful, full lips of youth have lost their volume. They are quite dry and wrinkled. This formula with wrinkle targeting complex plumps them up beyond my 25 year old look. Protective moisturizers keep them full and luscious.
- Invisible Foundation of Youth For Pores… Can you believe our pores enlarge as we age? As we get older, the sagging of the skin stretches them open. This product makes our pores look invisible. I put it all over my face, neck and hands. It needs about 5 minutes to fully develop before adding makeup.
- Brow & Lash Serum.My fading brows are also sprouting wayward grey hairs. I use this serum to slightly darken my brows and lashes, as well as thicken, control and condition them. Let it dry for a few minutes before applying color.
- Foundation of Youth Medium.Applied over Red Neutralizer and Invisible Foundation of Youth for Pores, I bring color back to my fading face. I am very pale but I use the medium shade to take me back to my youthful color. Not only do I have the color of youth but this formula brings an instant inner glow to my pale and aging face. It makes me happy to apply it and see the change.
I know that by looking at all the extra steps, you might be thinking “she must get up in the middle of the night to apply her makeup”. Actually, it only takes me 7 minutes to do my entire makeup regimen. Because I take this extra time with these skin primers, my make up lasts and is perfect throughout the day and into the evening. I only reapply my lipstick after eating.
Test these primers and you will be pleased to see a noticeable change in how smooth your makeup looks, just like I did. The results are definitely worth the few extra few steps!
January 27, 2012
Diane's Favorite Formulas
I am constantly testing new formulas. I am constantly testing existing formulas applied in different ways. I am fanatical about finding the best technologies to help aging skin look younger. With all that said, in my daily regimen, I use the same 7 products as regularly as I brush my teeth.
I am continually asked, and so is my staff, “What does Diane use as her skincare regimen?” I cannot live without the following 7 products:
- Age Lift Cleansing Milk… Have you ever heard of a clinically proven cleanser? So moisturizing it gives you a treatment while you clean your face.
- Miraculously Younger Serum… Put it under any cream you use. It does everything: firm, tighten, smooth, brighten, reduce your pores, and give your skin a glow. I put it all over my body.
- Promises Delivered Neck Cream Serum… I have used it for 2 years now and it has completely changed the surface of my skin. My skin is brighter, smoother, tighter, and my pores are smaller. Why am I surprised? It is proven to do all of this.
- Awaken Even Younger….I am obsessed with this “banana butter.” Not only do I put it on at night, I put it over Promises Delivered in the day time too. I am taking my skin to another level.
- Miraculously Younger Eye Cream… Have you ever heard of an exfoliating eye cream? Removes dead skin cells under the eyes and on the upper eye lid as well, so that its other ingredients can penetrate, smooth, and firm this delicate area.
- Coneflower Neckline & Décolleté Crepey Bodyskin Firmer…. Most of our clients use this as a super saving way to care for their neck. I use this all over my body, including my back. It is awesome.
- Intensive Heeling Dry Foot Formula… The first winter I lived in NY my heels cracked and bleed. I searched for years for help. Finally, I found a cream that worked. We took the existing formula and improved on it.
If you haven’t tried any of these miracle workers now is the time to do it. If you try them you will become part of the cult too!
January 26, 2012
ELEGANT NAIL POLISH TRENDS
With a color and tone for every personality, occasion and mood, it’s no wonder elegant nail polish tones are a timeless beauty trend. Of course, keeping the nails neatly and perfectly polished always requires extra attention and care, after all nobody wants to walk around with chipped nails! Luckily, with the gorgeous color suggestions we are bringing you, polishing your nails will be an exciting activity you will keep repeating this season!
Cranberry, eggplant and plum tones are fabulous for the winter season. Not only are they lively and festive, but they contrast perfectly with the gray days of the season lately, bringing color into your life. Go for creamier shades if you are aiming for chic and sophisticated. For special occasions, do not be afraid to try out subtle sparkly shades.
OPI Pepe's Purple Passion Nail Lacquer, $8.50, available at OPI.
CND Plum Truffle Collection (set of two polishes), $20, available at CND.
Deborah Lippmann Good Girl Gone Bad, $16, available at Deborah Lippmann.
Everyone knows that classic red tones scream elegance, boldness and femininity. With the great variety of shades from light, bright red to dark and daring maroon, your hands and shiny nails will be the attention grabber.
MAC Get Noticed Nail Lacquer, $15, available at MAC.
Nicole By OPI Orna-Ment For Each other, $10.99, available at Target.
Dior Merveille Vernis, $22, available at Dior.
Contrary to the popular belief that “grey is boring”, certain shades of grey prove that statement wrong. The secret is all about knowing what to pick from the variety of grey and grayish tones, including grayish pink, grayish lilac, ceramic and cement.
Sally Hansen Dorien Grey Complete Salon Manicure, $7.99, available at Ulta.
Essie Cocktail Bling Nail Polish, $8, available at Essie.
Nails Inc. Porchester Square Crystal Colour, $19.50, available at Sephora.
The earthy brown tones and chocolate shades are another alternative to classic and sophisticated tones we mentioned so far. These heartwarming hues will beautify your hands and match a wide range of colors in your outfit.
Illamasqua Taint Nail Varnish, $14, available at Sephora.
Sonia Kashuk Chocoholic Nail Colour, $4.99, available at Target.
China Glaze Street Chic, $4.99, available at China Glaze.
The gorgeous pink and purple nail polish tones cover a wide spectrum. Lilac, cherry, pearl pink, champagne, rose.Take your pick because they all promise chic and sophisticated lady hands.
Dolce & Gabbana Amethyst Intense Nail Lacquer, $20, available at Saks.
NARS Endless Night Nail Polish, $17, available at NARS.
Rescue Beauty Lounge Pizzicato Nail Polish, $18, available at Rescue Beauty Lounge.
Butter London Fairy Lights Nail Lacquer, $14, available at Butter London.
Lastly, do not be afraid to try metallic shades such as silver, bronze, copper and gold. The luxe tones inspired by precious metals are more than perfect for special occasions and events!
SpaRitual Solstice Nail Lacquer, $10, available at SkinStore.
Deborah Lippmann Glamorous Life, $16, available at Deborah Lippmann.
NARS Space Odyssey Nail Polish, $17, available at NARS.
RGB Cosmetics Seal Nail Polish, $16, available at RGB Cosmetics.
January 25, 2012
Faux and Real Wrinkle Fixes Video
January 24, 2012
10 Foods that Affect Your Risk of Breast Cancer
You cannot control many of the risk factors for developing breast cancer, such as genetics or race, but you can change the behaviors that may increase your risk.
Here are 5 foods you should avoid that cause an increased risk of breast cancer:
- Sugar: There is a correlation between consumption of foods with a high glycemic index and breast cancer. This includes, sugar, baked goods, candy, pasta, white rice, and other refined carbohydrates. Foods with a high glycemic index cause a rise in blood sugar and the release of insulin. A high level of insulin also increases circulation of free estrogen in the blood.
- Grilled meats: While grilling is frequently lauded as the healthiest way to cook meat, grilling certain animal proteins to high temperatures can increase development of heterocyclic amines or HCAs, mutagenic cancer causing compounds. According to the Cancer Project, HCAs are highest in well-done chicken breast, followed by steak, pork, salmon, and hamburger.
- High Fat Animal Products: A high fat diet raises estrogen and prolactin levels, which can give rise to hormone-dependent cancers, such as breast and endometrial cancer. Avoid fatty animal products, such as bacon and cream, and limit red meat consumption.
- Dairy: rGBH, is a chemical commonly used in American dairy cattle in order to maintain production; it comes hand-in-hand with the insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) hormone. Studies have linked higher levels of this hormone to increased risk of breast cancer.
- Artificial sweeteners: Artificial sweeteners like aspartame (Equal) and sucralose (Splenda) may increase the risk of breast cancer. Studies have shown that artificial sweeteners trigger insulin release in the blood when ingested. People tend consumer artificial sweeteners in excess because they are calorie free, but they too result in elevated insulin levels, as with real sugar.
Here are 5 foods that may decrease your risk of breast and other cancers:
- Broccoli: contains high levels of indole-3 carbinol (I3C), which studies have shown has strong anti-cancer properties and also shifts estrogen balance, which may reduce risk of developing breast cancer.
- Red Cabbage: also contains I3C, as well as vitamin A and the flavonoid anthocyanadin, which all reduce the risk of cancer.
- Chia Seeds: are high in Omega-3 acids and antioxidants. Studies have shown that Omega-3 fatty acid intake may decrease the risk of developing breast cancer.
- Shiitake mushrooms: contain lentinan, which boosts immune health and reduces risk of developing certain cancers including breast cancer.
- Turmeric: This spice contains curcumin, an antioxidant which studies have shown has anticancer benefits.
January 23, 2012
What’s the Difference Between True Wrinkles and Faux Wrinkles?
True wrinkles have had a collagen collapse. This happens when repeated facial movements break down the elastic collagen bands that give skin its firmness and elasticity. Think of a mattress that changes shape when we sleep in the same positions over a period of time. True wrinkles are best treated with formulas containing peptides, vitamins A and C, and wound healing, marine botanicals.
Faux wrinkles form in areas where the skin is thin and has lost elasticity. Around eyes, on neck, under arms, knees, hands and on inner thighs. Deep hydration with products containing hyaluronic acid, safflower oil, and marine botanicals will give an instant improvement. So will temporary tightening formulas that contain silica and microscopic filling spheres of certain botanicals.
Don’t forget that the sun causes both deeper and faux wrinkles by damaging the underlying collagen and elastin support system of our skin.
We added a list of our formulas that improve true wrinkles and faux wrinkles below:
For True Wrinkles
- Coneflower Eyeline Firmer
- Coneflower Neckline Firmer
- Coneflower Neckline & Decollete Firmer
- Awaken Even Younger Night Cream
- Promises Delivered Neck CreamSerum
- Promises Delivered Neck Firming Exfoliator
- Miraculously Younger Eye Cream
- Miraculously Younger Serum
- Miraculously Younger Dry Skin Moisturizer
- Years Younger Serum
For Faux Wrinkles
- Wrinkle Treatment Concealor (with wrinkle targeting complex)
- Coneflower Eyeline Firmer (with wrinkle targeting complex)
- Beyond the Balm (with wrinkle targeting complex)
January 20, 2012
WHEN TO HAVE COSMETIC SURGERY
We have had several videos on how to improve your wrinkles using salon treatments and products. But what if you have used all these procedures and formulas and still need more improvement? The next step is to consider dermatological services. These include fillers, lasers, peels and Botox injections. Such procedures will give you a smoother, tighter, younger look with very little risk.
Still feel you need more help? The next step is to see a plastic surgeon. Their procedures include surgery and are not to be undertaken casually. I am frequently asked “when should I have plastic surgery?”. The answer depends on how unhappy you are. It is crucial to have consultations with at least 3 different doctors. Ask lots of questions during the consultation including “what is the worst thing that could happen during this procedure?” It is best if you can see results of their surgeries on a friend or a family member.
If you decide to go forward with cosmetic/plastic surgery make sure that you are very comfortable with the doctor, the hospital and are certain you really need to do this to feel better about yourself.
Think about this and let some time pass before you make your final decision.
January 19, 2012
RAIN BOOTS: FUNCTIONAL AND FASHIONABLE
Though we get a lot of those dreary, stormy, rainy days this time of the year (even occasionally in the spring), not all of us invest in a solid pair of rain boots. Rain boots resemble the fun of playing in the rain and jumping in the puddles during our childhood. However as we get older, we focus on our own tastes, creativity, individuality and expression in fashion. And with so many stylish shoe and boot options out there, rain boots just become boring, uninteresting and sometimes even ugly… or so we thought! With the fun options we are bringing you today, you will see why rain boots can help kill two birds with one stone: functional AND fashionable.
The famous Hunter Wellington boots – yes, it is the one you see everywhere – come in a variety of fun pop colors, patterns and print designs to match any color in your outfit. Made of rubber material, these boots keep the water from getting into your feet, keeping them warm and dry no matter how flooded the streets get. With a great selection of tall and short styles, you can choose the most comfortable and trendy one for you and your unique taste. Another reason to check this brand out? They also offer a wide range of chic, sophisticated leather boots – both flat and heeled – for more fashion conscious ladies.
For those fashionistas that love high-end brands, we suggest checking out the rain boots from your choice of designers including Marc Jacobs, Juicy Couture, and Burberry. Such designers offer super chic and elegant collections to help you find the perfect rain boot to match your personality and your fashion sense.
Rain boots are not a “current fashion trend” that will come and go. They are quite the functional item definitely worth investing for. For maximum comfort and warmth during those stormy, rainy days, choose from the many colors and designs of taller (and preferably rubber) rain boots. Tuck your pants into them. With such fun, trendy options from many brands and designers, you will stay cozy and dry while flashing your unique style and showing the world not the stormiest weather can steal your thunder.
Image Source: Short Rain Boots
January 18, 2012
INSTANT LINE SMOOTHING FORMULA VIDEO: UN-WRINKLE APPLICATION TIPS AND SECRETS FOR MAXIMUM RESULTS
January 17, 2012
Fashion Trends that can be Dangerous
High heels are not only uncomfortable after extended wear but can cause long term foot problems such as bunions and hammer toes. Extended wear of high heals can cause tightening of the calf muscle and shortening of the Achilles Tendon, which can result in more pressure being placed on the ball of the foot and shin splints in the front of the leg.
Be mindful of how frequently you wear high heels and pointy toed shoes, and consider a shoe insert that relieves pressure. Try to vary heel heights with options such as ballet flats, kitten heals, and riding boots.
Women are experiencing a condition called meralgia paresthetica, also know as “tingling thigh syndrome,” caused by tight fitting clothing compressing a nerve in the groin close to the skin’s surface. This condition is most common in those who wear tight belts or clothing, such as police officers, construction workers, and pregnant or obese women. However, with the popularity of fitted silhouettes the condition is more widespread. Even control top panty hose case cause constriction.
Fitted clothing combined with high heels exacerbates the problem, as high heals tilt the pelvis forward causing further pressure. Tight clothing can cause other problems such as bladder and yeast infections to boot. Try to limit wear of tight clothing to 8 hours a day, 2 times a week. If you want to wear fitted pants more frequently, try leggings instead of jeans.
Chandelier and other heavy earring may look lovely but wearing them too frequently can cause stretching of the ear lobe or even worse, it can cause tearing all the way through. Be careful when choosing styles that are on the heavier side and limit earrings with a loop to once a week
Carrying a heavy bag on one side can cause spinal imbalance, as you may lean to one side resulting in poor posture. Try to limit what you carry with you daily and when wearing a bag alternate the shoulder as not to throw off the balance of your posture.
Sources: ABC News, Dr.Oz, Huffington Post
January 16, 2012
Don’t Underestimate Your Moisturizer for Wrinkles
Our skin has its own moisturizing system. Here is how it works… Water comes up through microscopic holes on our face, evaporating off the surface and oil comes up through our pores. The purpose of the oil is to trap the moisture on the surface on the skin. This oil/water combination is nature’s perfect moisturizer. When we are young, it functions very efficiently. As we get older, it doesn’t work as well. Our oil glands start to decrease with age and skin dehydration becomes more of a problem. We add moisturizers to make up for this deficit. Formulas for moisturizing are continually improving and evolving but they are not perfected in my opinion. I feel we still don’t fully understand how to keep aging skin perfectly hydrated and protected.
How do you know if your moisturizer is working perfectly? First of all, you need to apply moisturizer in the AM and PM. When you wake up in the morning, your skin should feel moist and your faux wrinkles should be smoothed out. As you are applying your daytime moisturizer, your skin should look smoother, moister, and plumped up. Your wrinkles should look improved.
I have extremely dry skin. I always felt I was fully moisturized. My secret weapon was a moisturizing serum under my daytime and nighttime formulas. I didn’t realize until recently that by layering my nighttime formula over my daytime moisturizer, what full hydration would produce. I know that this sounds like a lot of product on your face. A serum and two moisturizers are costly in time and money but it is a lot less expensive than medical procedures. When your skin is FULLY MOISTURIZED, you will be shocked at how much younger you look.
The cold, dry winter season is the time when our skin is most challenged. For most women, the system I am proposing does not have to be done throughout the year but just during the winter when you really need it.
If your skin is extremely dry and you are having trouble getting full hydration, I would like to know what combination of products works best for you.
January 13, 2012
What is the Difference Between Coneflower Neckline Firmer and Promises Delivered?
I know many of you have been asking this question: What is the difference between the Coneflower Neckline Firmer and Promises Delivered?
Coneflower Neckline Firmer is our phenomenal formula that challenges the signs of aging. It has a cult following because it really works! It is a wonderful antidote for fragile, crepey, thin and dry skin. Its proven benefits include skin firming, line reducing and deeply moisturizing and hydrating effects. It has been a bestseller on QVC for more than 15 years. There is such a large demand for it that we can’t manufacture it fast enough! We love this formula and we know you do too!
However, whenever a new technology becomes available, we want to make use of it to bring you the very best. We took the Coneflower Neckline Firmer formula and improved it by adding a new delivery system to give you better results. That is what Promises Delivered is. With a new improved delivery technology, a lighter texture and added active ingredients, it works to bring you benefits of a cream and a serum at the same time.
When Promises Delivered was first produced, the women that tested it put it on their necks AND faces instead of just their necks and reported the amazing results back to us. We repeated the same step while we were testing for safety reasons, and found it to lead to great benefits on the face as well as your neck.
In sum, our top selling Coneflower Neckline Firmer and her sister, Promises Delivered – both of which are available - come from the same family. They are the same formula but Promises Delivered is a significant advancement over the original Coneflower. With the boosting effects of a serum and the deeply hydrating properties of a moisturizing cream, Promises Delivered is a breakthrough improvement over our amazing Coneflower Neckline Firmer.
January 12, 2012
5 Timeless Pieces Every Woman Should Own
We witness new fashion trends every season. They come, spice up our wardrobe for awhile, and then they become history. However, every woman needs certain fashion staples that never go out of style. We have gathered the 5 pieces that make up one timeless wardrobe and numerous elegant styles.
Little Black Dress – Classic, bold, sophisticated, elegant, chic, polished…You name it because the list goes on. The little black dress is indeed the secret weapon in your wardrobe. Versatile and appropriate for any occasion, your black dress will go with anything. We cannot underestimate the black’s figure flattering and slimming effect. Pair it up with vintage fur or a bright colored light jacket. Choose a knee-length one that can be worn with any kind of shoes or boots.
White Shirt – Due to its clean, simple look, a classic sophisticated white shirt can be worn with any article of clothing. Pair it with pants AND skirts, with different fits and colors. This timeless piece also allows you to get as creative as you want with accessories such as jewelry, scarves, purses, belts and shoes. How refreshing it is to know you can create many diverse and sophisticated looks with just one piece from your wardrobe!
Classic Cardigan – A basic knit cardigan is the perfect item to complete any outfit, because it is the ultimate layering piece. Choose between a big knee-length one or a short, sweet one depending on the rest of your outfit, as well as depending on the season and the weather. We are sure you are likely to invest in multiple colors and styles when you realize how amazingly necessary this piece is.
Trenchcoat – A classic belted trenchcoat is a must for every woman’s wardrobe. Stylish yet simple, it comes in a variety of different fabrics and colors. Plus, the belted style is highly flattering for the figure. Length-wise, we suggest one that goes down to mid-thigh or knee, so you can throw it on any outfit and achieve a polished look.
A Stylish Pair of Flat Shoes – You don’t need always heels to create a fancy, dressed up look. Complete numerous outfits with a chic pair of flats. Not only do they come in endless colors from bold dark ones to sweet bright tones, but they are also available in diverse styles such as classic-casual to peep-toe sexy. Plus, they are so much better for your feet. Now that’s a “must” investment!
January 11, 2012
Day & Night Anti-Aging Solutions Video: When Breaking the Beauty Rules Leads to Unexpected Surprises
January 10, 2012
Eat Your Way to Happiness and Health
It is not just winter weather that gives us the blues, our diet during these dark days impacts how we look and feel. Here are some suggestions for eating right, and avoiding the beauty and health hazards of the season.
- DRY, ROUGH SKIN: Heated homes and cars and long, hot showers may warm you in the moment but they also dehydrate the skin. Try to combat the heat by drinking plenty of water and eating whole-grain bread and rice. According to Marie Claire, recent studies show that women who consumed lipids from whole grains had reduced dryness and redness.
- ACNE AND FLAKING: Parched conditions can disrupt exfoliation and trigger eczema, acne, and psoriasis flare ups. Cold-water fish, such as salmon, anchovies, halibut, and arctic char contain omega-3 fatty acid which has a soothing affect on the skin. Other omega-3 packed foods include walnuts, ground flaxseeds, and chia seeds.
- COLD-WEATHER BLUES: Vitamin D is essential for strong bones, as it aids in the absorption of calcium and phosphorus. Recent research also indicates that vitamin D affects moods, releasing dopamine, which the brain associates with reward recognition. Look for vitamin D enriched foods, such as fortified milk, orange juice, and yogurt.
- ENERGY SHORTAGE: In the dark, cold days of winter we all lack the energy we have during warmers times of the year. For continued energy throughout the day, eat a balanced breakfast, pairing lean protein such as eggs, yogurt, tofu, or nuts, with high-fiber carbohydrates such as whole-grain toasts, oats, or fresh fruit. Women especially tend to under-eat during the day and overeat at night.
- LOW IMMUNITY: Germs spread like wild fire during the winter because people are cooped up inside with the windows closed. Two ingredients that help boost the immune system are vitamin C and beta carotene. In addition to supplements, papaya, red bell peppers, oranges, Brussels sprouts, and cantaloupe are all excellent sources of vitamin C. To bolster your immune system with beta carotene, eat plenty of leafy greens such as spinach, romaine lettuce, broccoli, and kale, and orange produce including sweet potatoes, carrots, and squash.
Source: Marie Claire
January 9, 2012
When Breaking "Beauty Rules" Brings Fabulous Results
If you have followed my instructions for using our products, you know that I feel very strongly about using formulas that are made for specific areas of your face. In the case of a night cream, we know from research that the best results come when you use it only during the night time. We have recently reintroduced our Awaken Even Younger night cream and it is awesome! Rich, buttery, full of banana extract with its delicious aroma and a feel that makes you want to put it on your face. The results from this unctuous product are an intense moisture surge to your dry, thirsty skin and improved smoothness of the skin texture.
Here’s how I broke the beauty rules myself… I applied this amazing formula over Promises Delivered before I went to bed. The reason I did this is because I had just gotten off of a long plane flight and my skin was so dry that I couldn’t believe it. I was in my bathroom looking into my magnifying mirror and I said to myself “what can I do?”. I had already cleaned my face and without thinking, instead of putting on the night cream, I reached for the wrong jar and put on Promises Delivered. When I realized my mistake, I said “of course! Put Awaken Even Younger over it”. I couldn’t believe the amount of hydration I saw by using these formulas one over the other when I looked in the mirror. When I went to work the next day, all of my staff and clients were a buzz about how great my skin looked.
I have continued this night time process of using these formulas together. I now have no faux wrinkles and my real wrinkles are almost all gone. I have seen other benefits. My skin - which was smooth to begin with - is now unbelievably smoother and poreless, and appears to be firmer and tighter. These are instant benefits from extreme moisturization. Part of the improvement process has come from the exfoliating benefits of the night cream. I stumbled on a beauty breakthrough. I used these two together all over my face, around my eyes and on my neck and hands. I believe that by breaking the beauty rules in this way we have created a new synergy that is better than either one of these products alone.
I want to hear about your experiences: Try it and see how it works for you!
January 6, 2012
What are the Top 5 Ways to Decrease Your Wrinkles?
- Use Anti-aging formulas with active ingredients. They promote your skin’s firmness. We love peptides, we love botanical wound healers (Coneflower and Centella Asiatica)
- Use an anti-aging serum. Serums are anti-aging boosters that you can wear under moisturizers. As they are loaded with active ingredients, they will take your skin to another level.
- Exfoliate: Exfoliation will give your skin a better texture as well as allowing the active ingredients to penetrate more effectively into your skin. Our favorite for aging skin is lactic acid from milk, that also promotes hydration.
- Super-moisturizers will fill in your faux wrinkles. They also have the ability to penetrate deeper into the skin via hi-tech delivery systems.
- Un-Wrinkle: This product gives instant wrinkle smoothing! You see benefits only when it’s on your face but it works like a miracle. It is a great trick for temporarily improving your wrinkles.
Important Tip: Our Promises Delivered Neck CreamSerum with our Awaken Even Younger Night Cream layered on top of it during the day AND night gives awesome results for dry aging wrinkled skin. Why don’t you give it a try?
January 5, 2012
CREPINESS, GATHERS AND WRINKLES ARE BETTER ON YOUR CLOTHES
The word “wrinkle” is often referred to in a negative way: Wrinkles on face, wrinkles around eyes, wrinkles on neck and chest. Always something we are trying to correct, smooth out and get rid of… But what if we brought you a version of ‘wrinkles’ that is more positive? Yes, they are still wrinkles, but on your clothes, instead of on your face. On that note, we are bringing you a fashion trend in which ruched dresses, wrinkled fabrics, crepey clothes and gathered material will only add to your sophistication.
The great benefit of these crepe, wrinkly or ruched fabrics is that they flatter your figure without adding bulk and they have excellent versatility. Such material including silk, wool, or polyester are lightweight, thin, and drapey. Therefore, they add a graceful movement to your overall outfit while bringing a unique edge to your appearance and fashion sense.
Wear a light top with a purposefully wrinkled texture such as a silk chiffon blouse. Pair it with a smooth, ironed skirt or a wrinkle-free pair of pants to create some contrast and make a bold fashion statement. For a night out, choose from the endless varieties of crepe dresses with ruching at the waist, shoulders, or skirt. Pair a classic shirt with a dirndl skirt to accentuate your waist and shape. If your overall outfit is wrinkle-free, add a little twist by wrapping a crinkly scarf around your neck.
However you decide to sport these fabrics for a casual day or for an event, make sure to get creative and have fun, because these “wrinkles and crinkles” will only flatter your form and add charm to your appearance.
TIP: Keep one part of your outfit “wrinkly” and one part structured to balance your look. Typically, choosing a wrinkly-textured fabric for a top and wearing a structured bottom (skirt or pants) is the most figure flattering look.
January 4, 2012
Instant Line Smoothing Formula Video
January 3, 2012
Eat and Drink Your Way to Fewer Wrinkles!
In addition to your skincare regimen, foods rich in antioxidants can help decrease inflammation and free radical damage. The following anti-wrinkle foods will help improve the look and feel of your skin.
· Blueberries: have 40 per cent more antioxidant capacity than strawberries. They are high in vitamin C and can help strengthen collagen formation, which reduces the signs of aging. Add blueberries to your morning oatmeal or smoothie or eat them on their own as a healthy snack.
· Tomatoes: contain lycopene, which has been shown to reduce skin cell damage and redness. In order to increase absorption of lycopene, it needs to be combined with a healthy fat. So mix some extra-virgin olive oil into your tomato sauce or add tomatoes to your next batch of guacamole.
· Fish: Salmon, like other cold-water fish, is a great source of protein, an important building block of great skin, and is also rich in essential fatty acid known as omega-3. According to WebMD, essential fatty acids help nourish skin and keep it plump and youthful, helping to reduce wrinkles. Flax seeds and omega-3 fortified milk and eggs are also good sources of fatty acid.
· Soy: Research indicates that soy may help protect against and heal photoaging damage from the sun. Studies have also shown that after taking a soy-based supplement for six months, participants showed improved skin structure and firmness, according to WedMD.
· Water: Drink plenty of water to help improve the texture of your skin and reduce fine lines. Also, try to minimize beverages that have the opposite effect such as alcohol and coffee. Strive for a minimum of 6 to 8 glasses of distilled water or herbal tea each day.
Sources: WebMD, CanadianLiving.com
January 2, 2012
What Causes Wrinkles?
Wrinkles form in several ways. You inherit facial muscle movements that show expression. Look at family pictures to see what will happen to your face.
Our environment also contributes to facial lines. We know that sun exposure speeds up the aging process and creates more wrinkles. Dry air is also an environmental factor that causes wrinkling….something that we call faux wrinkles.
Have you noticed that one side of your face seems to have more lines? The side we sleep on takes more pressure and creates “pressure lines.”
So what can we do to prevent and improve this situation?
- Forget trying to change your facial expressions. Showing emotion is what makes you special.
- Apply sunscreen as faithfully as you brush your teeth.
- Moisturize! Moisturize! Moisturize!
- Drink water as often as possible. This will create internal hydration that will show on your face.
- Sleep on a silk or high thread count cotton pillow case.
- Smile! It lifts your whole face!
December 30, 2011
How Do You Know A Cream Works?
Here’s a checklist of ways to determine if a cream will work for you:
- Ask a friend…not every product will work on every skin but if your friend has seen improvement, this is a good way to start.
- Know what ingredients you are sensitive to… If you have a product reaction, you can’t expect to see benefits.
- Learn to read an ingredient list…Anti-aging formulas should contain many active ingredients such as milk or fruit acid, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and wound healing botanicals.
- Use samples…You need to use for 2 weeks to start to see some improvements. Real skin changes take 4 weeks or more to develop.
- Listen to your skin…If there is some characteristic of a formula that makes you “love” it, this is your skin telling you that this formula is great for you.
Summary: Become a skin detective. Know your skin, test samples out, look into the “clues” your skin gives you, be patient and consistent in taking care of your skin.
December 29, 2011
TIPS FOR GLAMOROUS LOOKS ON NEW YEAR’S EVE
The night to dress-to-impress is approaching, ladies. And we know you will all look your very best as we enter into the New Year. So we thought we would bring you a few tips on looking extra chic, glam and sophisticated on the special night!
When it comes to picking a festive outfit, you can either bring your shimmer and shine to the party with an all-sequin dress or go with classic colors that you can pair with glamorous statement jewelry.
One of this season’s most popular trends have been shiny, flowing fabrics; be it glitter, sequins or metallic hues. All-sequin dresses and blouses are quite the trend especially during this holiday season. If you choose to wear a sparkly dress on New Year’s Eve, minimize on the accessories, especially jewelry!
If you decide to go for the classic black dress, or a bold red one – a holiday fave – you can still look just as glamorous. Add that little magic to your look with complimentary jewelry such as bright bracelets and shimmery necklaces.
And lastly, makeup and beauty: The one crucial tip we have for you is to consider the type of look you’re going for and then make your beauty choices. Go for a hairstyle and makeup that will complement your outfit, the color and the sparkle.