July 31st, 2012
Yoga for Health & Harmony
Health and happiness can be improved with regular trips to the yoga studio.
Yogis really do have a sunnier outlook. A series of postures can raise levels of Gaba in the brain - low levels of this chemical has been linked to depression.
Fight lower back pain. People with lower back pain that did two 90-minute yoga classes a week for about 6 months reduced soreness by about 56%. Yoga poses improve posture and strengthen back muscles, helping to ease aches and pains.
Avoid sleepless nights. Research shows that insomniacs fell asleep 15 minutes faster and slept an hour longer each night after two months of doing a series of postures for 45-minutes daily before bed. Some speculate that yoga helps people relax, making it easier for them to “turn-off” at night.
Boost confidence. According to one study, women who practice yoga regularlys have higher body satisfaction that those who took aerobics, even though both groups were at a healthy weight. This might be because yoga helps you to focus more on how your body feels and what it can accomplish than how it looks.
Head-to-Toe Toning. Yoga is strength training that uses your own body weight to move from posture to posture.
Namaste the stress away. Women who practiced at least once a week for two years release less of the “tension-triggered” Cytokine, which can make you feel tired and moody.
Source: adapted from Self.com
July 30, 2012
Diane’s “Must Know” Beauty Tips
- Always try sample products and update your beauty regimen.
- Get the best haircut and coloring you can afford.
- Find a hairdresser that has the same kind of hair as yours. Explain to your hairdresser the haircut and color you want in detail. You may want to take a picture with you. Make sure you don’t distract too much so she/he can concentrate on your hair.
- Exfoliate as often as you can without harming your skin.
- Invest in a good eye cream - it will pay for itself over time.
- Understand whether your skin has warm or cool undertones.
- Take really good care of your feet – if they hurt, you’ll be miserable.
- Keep your teeth white.
- Keep your hair moisturized.
- Never give up on trying to improve yourself in every way!
July 27, 2012
My Beauty Routine: Can it Help You?
Organizing yourself is the most important thing when it comes to your health and beauty routines. I am generally very busy and have very little time – and many of you are the same - so my products are lined up on either side of my bathroom counter, ready to use. Here is what I do on a daily basis:
My Morning Routine
My Evening Routine
Daily “After-Shower” Routine
I never go a day without using these products as they help me keep my skin healthy, young and glowing. If you feel the same way and want to do the best that you can for your skin, then I recommend for you to consider our Auto-Delivery program - it will help you to keep your skin care and beauty routine in check, while significantly cutting down on your costs.
July 26, 2012
Day-to-Night Summer Looks
During the summer, we are a lot more likely to be out during the day AND during the night. Sometimes without even having the time to pay a visit home for a quick outfit change! And for that exact reason, we are sharing with you the quick and effective style tips to turn your dressed-down daywear into an eye-catching, chic night look!
- If you are wearing neutral color day shoes – whether paired with a dress or a nice shirt and pants – during the day, trade it for a brightly colored or leopard-print pair for an immediate glamour boost
- Switch your day blazer for a sequined cardigan and add on a metallic clutch.
- If you are wearing a day dress or a loose long shirt, throw on a patent belt, and you’re ready for a cocktail party!
- Add on jewelry to any day look and you will not go wrong. Wear dangly earrings, a bold cuff, or a chunky cocktail ring – but not all three together.
- No matter what you are wearing, incorporating a silky studded clutch and red lips into your look will instantly transform your outfit into a bold and sophisticated night style.
Source: Marie Claire
"Sale All Year Long?"
Video Visit with Diane
July 24, 2012
Top Foods for a Healthy, Happy Summer
These super foods will help keep you slim and protected this summer:
- Strawberries help fight sun burn. Strawberries are packed with ellagic acid, which protects against UV radiation by reducing the release of molecules linked to inflammation. It also helps preserve skin smoothing collagen.
- Leafy greens protect your eyes from the sun. Full of lutein and zeaxanthin, which can help filter out damaging rays.
- Tart-cherry juice, packs antioxidants that reduce inflammation. So sip before exercise to cut soreness later.
- Green tea fights belly bloat. The antioxidants in green tea help block fat absorption.
- Garlic protects against ticks. People who consume the equivalent of two gloves of garlic a day, in the form of garlic pills, got fewer tick bites! It may change the way you taste to the insect.
Source: Adapted from Self Magazine (July 2012)
July 23, 2012
Routines Make a Big Beauty Difference
Our skin loves regular care. How do I know this? Every time I have a break in my routine, my skin is not as healthy looking, radiant, or hydrated. Think of your skincare program like you care for your teeth. Very few of us would go without brushing our teeth daily. We understand that going to the dentist once or twice a year for professional cleanings is important, but does not take the place of daily care.
All habits get easier when you do them regularly. This certainly applies to our beauty routines as well. Make it convenient to practice your routines. I put my morning skincare products out on a special tray in my bathroom. And I also keep a separate tray for my night time program. Beside my bed, I have emergency cleansing towels for nights when I have sleep attacks and cannot keep my eyes open.
The biggest problem in maintaining your beauty routines is that you run out of your beauty products and there is a gap before you can replenish. Your routine is not interrupted. How can we overcome this? This is one of the reasons we have an Auto-Delivery Program.
This program gives you a chance to receive your “must” products on a regular basis so you never actually run out – so you can keep your beauty and skincare routine going with no interruptions. Another major benefit is you get to keep the sale prices all year long. Here are the details you should know:
- You get your customized order of your all-time favorite “Diane Young” products delivered regularly when you want them.
- You get to keep the sale prices throughout the year – even after the sale is over.
- To sign up, call us at 1-800-STAY-YOUNG (1-800-782-9968) and let us know what items you would like.
- You can make adjustments (change and/or cancel) at any time with no cost before your package goes out for delivery.
- You can only sign up for Auto-Delivery during our sale periods in January and July.
- Special Sale Promotions do not qualify for Auto-Delivery.
You know that your routines keep you going and make you happy because you see the ongoing results of taking care of yourself on a regular basis. That is the case with me. So keep your health, skincare and beauty routines in check to take the best care of yourself – for a happier, healthier, better you!
July 20th, 2012
We can’t fight gravity but we can definitely do what we can to delay the look of sagging. And the best way to achieve this is by taking regular care of your skin - daily, weekly and monthly – and supporting it with special anti-aging products, salon quality masks, and even “lifting” salon treatments .
Daily – Use a super moisturizer when you wake up in the morning and before going to bed at night. Super moisturizers (Promises Delivered CreamSerum and Awaken Even Younger) consist of ingredients to maximize the moisture content of your skin. These formulas improve and correct faux wrinkles and soften the look of real wrinkles by helping your skin hold onto its natural moisture and adding some more to fill up faux wrinkles. Sagging is really more than wrinkles in the skin but keeping your skin healthy and hydrated from inside out everyday helps a lot!
Try to use formulas with Wrinkle Targeting Complex as the effects of this technology go far beyond solely moisturizing. Special formulas with Wrinkle Targeting Complex really plump up skin, giving it a fuller, more youthful look. My tip? Use Coneflower Eyeline Firmer ALL OVER your face. And apply Beyond the Balm for more luscious, full lips. If you want to incorporate Wrinkle Targeting Complex into your makeup routine as well, apply Gorgeous Sheer Color after using Coneflower Eyeline Firmer.
Weekly – Whether you go to a salon for it or do it at home, give your skin a facial mask treatment! Do an at-home application of the Line Lifting Therapy Treatment Mask. Apply and keep on for 10-15 minutes without moving a muscle on your face. Line Lifting Mask dries so tight that it stimulates circulation, bringing blood and moisture to your skin. Moreover, the peptides in this mask’s mixture are absorbed deep into the skin, helping build collagen fibers. Collagen is one of the key things in preventing and correcting sagging.
To increase the effectiveness of the Line Lifting Mask, follow it with a second mask to dehydrate the skin: Dry Parts Moisture Mask. Keep on for 10-15 minutes before rinsing off.
Monthly – If you want to do all you can to delay sagging, you can also get a micro-current treatment once a month or every couple months. This technology is a way to temporarily lift sagging muscles and skin. By lifting and repositioning the face muscles that support the skin, it firms, tightens and contours your skin, making it smoother, firmer and more toned.
July 19th, 2012
Ageless Statement Jewelry
Our neck and décolleté area is one of the first places that show the signs of aging as we get older. The skin here is thinner than on other parts of the body. And unfortunately, many of us forget about our neck area while doing our usual skincare routine until we get to a certain age and start noticing the changes. Luckily, you can turn to chic statement jewelry to detract attention from this area while highlighting your stronger features and your sophisticated fashion sense.
Observe yourself in the mirror and find your good features and your "not so good" features. Pick jewelry and other accessories to emphasize your better features while downplaying your less attractive regions.
If you have loose skin in the neck area, invest in a number of unique and bold necklaces that have a little sparkle to them or colored beads with a chunky style. Also, keep in mind that metallic jewelry in silver, bronze or copper add a glow to your skin and facial tones. Have a collection of bold and stylish necklaces that highlight your personal taste and style. This will guarantee you a number of options to go with different outfits.
Avoid wearing delicate, thin jewelry as they tend to emphasize lines and wrinkles – whether on your neck or on your arms and wrists.
Necklaces and bracelets with oversized beads -- plastic, wood or metal -- and precious stones are the most flattering choices. If you particularly like eccentric, chic pieces, you can also consider ethnic jewelry, and layers of longer chains and shorter necklaces that are worn together. You can also wrap an elegant silk scarf with a lively design and color loosely around the neck to add a bit of fashion twist to your look.
Source: How To Wear Fashion Accessories for Older Woman
Give Yourself a "Lift" At Home - Video
July 17, 2012
Quick Exercise Bursts
The average hour-long television show has about 17 minutes of ads. Make those commercial breaks count. Instead of using that time to channel surf or raid the fridge, do one of these fat-blasting exercises until your show is back on.
Stand in front of your couch with your feet shoulder-width apart and your arms straight out in front of you. Squat until just before you hit the seat, stand back up.
Air Jump Rope
Bounce on the balls of your feet and make circles with your arms as if you were jumping rope. This move burns just as many calories as the real thing.
With your arms in front of you and slightly wider than your shoulders, lean on your sofa’s armrest and keep your back flat and belly sucked in. Bend your arms, lower your chest to the armrest and push back up.
Step your right foot onto an ottoman, the couch or stepping stool. Push up through your heel, then step back down and repeat on your left side.
Coffee Table Triceps Dips
Sit on a sturdy coffee table, the couch or a stable chair. Scoot your butt forward and grab the edge of the tabletop. Slowly bend your elbows and drop you body downward until your triceps are parallel to the ground. Return to the starting position.
Source: Adapted from Family Circle (August 2012)
July 16th, 2012
Have Picture Perfect Skin
Whenever you are photographed and/or attending a special occasion, you want to put your “best face” forward. How do we do this?
Step 1 is to exfoliate. Our Young and Appealing Exfoliating and Neutralizing Pads are perfect for this. Make sure to rub all over your face and lips to clean your skin of accumulated dead cells.
Step 2 “Tighten and lift” your face with our Line Lifting Therapy Treatment Mask. Follow the instructions carefully to apply, and use your hairdryer to speed the drying of the mask. Do not move your face while it is on. Leave on for 10 minutes or more after drying, and then rinse off.
Step 3 Use Dry Parts Moisture Mask to deeply hydrate your now toned and “lifted” skin. Again, leave on for at least 10 minutes.
Step 4 Now, apply your serum and moisturizer to your clean face. If you need help with picking a serum, I would recommend Miraculously Younger Serum; it is one of my personal favorites. And for moisturizer, you can use Promises Delivered Neck CreamSerum or Coneflower Neckline Firmer – both good to use on your face and neck. This serum-and-moisturizer step prepares your skin for makeup.
Step 5 – Apply Foundation of Youth For Pores. Your toned, tightened, hydrated skin will look even better with this super primer.
Follow these steps – especially before any special occasion, for a noticeably younger, smoother and glowing skin. The results will amaze you!
July 13, 2012
Take 10 Years off in 10 Days
We all want to look younger. After all who doesn’t? And it is not impossible; it just requires some time and effort. Here are my top 10 tips – listed in order of importance - to instantly change and improve your look to appear younger.
Flattering Haircut - Have your stylist give you a haircut that suits your face shape. Also, consider adding in soft layers as they are very flattering for aging women.
Brighter Hair Color – Shiny, brighter hair exudes the look of health and youth. That is why a brighter hair color – even if you have dark hair –is ideal to add some shine. Not only will it make it easier to camouflage grey roots but it will also add brighten up your skin. Go get some highlights in there for some shine!
Skin Care – Take special care of your skin. Use anti-aging formulas to refine, firm and improve your skin.
Eyebrows - Have your eye brows shaped by a professional and maintain the shape at home.
Pre-Makeup – Use primers and temporary fillers to improve the texture and youthful look of your skin.
Makeup – We need more makeup the more we age, to add color and light to our face. However, it needs to be so subtle that it looks as if we have less makeup on.
Teeth - Whiten your teeth and have any irregular edges sculpted by your dentist.
Body Shapers - Wear body shapers. These undergarments will transform your figure immediately.
Bra - Go for a bra fitting to find the right shape and size. Lifting your bust line makes you look amazingly younger.
Posture - Improve your posture by standing up straight. Make sure to pull in your stomach too. The right posture will take years off immediately.
July 12, 2012
Sunglasses: Shield Your Eyes In Style
As we all know, one of the best things you can do for your skin is protecting it from the sun. The skin around the eyes and eyelids is very delicate. It gets damaged and wrinkled very quickly if not protected properly from the harmful rays of the sun. Yet most of us do not pay attention to protecting this area with sunglasses. Sunglasses not only protect our eyes from damaging UV radiation from the sun, but they also highlight our personal taste and sense of style. So we urge you to invest in a pair so that you can shield your eyes and the skin around them, and do it in style!
Here’s how you can pick the right shades for your face:
If you have an oval face, most sunglass frame shapes will work with your face. You can try square, round, aviator or over-sized sunglasses. When you are purchasing sunglasses, make sure the frames are proportional to your facial features. While over-sized sunglasses are in style, do not overdo it - especially if you have small, petite features, to avoid “bug eyes”.
Those of you with a round face should wear sunglasses that balance your facial shape. Go for square or rectangular frames. Pay attention to proportions to find the frame size that most flatters your features. Stay away from very small sunglasses -even if they are rectangular (the most flattering shape for round faces) too small frames can make a round face appear larger or even rounder.
If you have a heart shaped face, we recommend sunglasses similar to the triangular shape of your face. A stylish pair of aviators, for example, will look perfect on a heart-shaped face. The retro cat eye framed sunglasses are another chic option.
And lastly, those with a square face shape. Look for more round framed sunglasses and avoid sharp angled frames. Curvy sunglass shapes will work really well with your face as they soften the harder angles and features of the face. Another tip? You can soften a square jaw line with frame shapes that sit higher on your face than average– such as the cat eye shape.
July 11th, 2012
Diane's Favorite Fixes Video
July 10th, 2012
Is Sugar Toxic?
Too much sugar can not only cause weight gain and metabolic issues, but can impair liver and brain function, and leave the body vulnerable to heart disease, diabetes, and even cancer.
Women as young as 20 and 30 may already be feeling the implications of too much sugar on their bodies. Here are some common sugar-induced issues:
- Stress Eating: dopamine (the reward chemical) and serotonin (the calming hormone) in the brain spike after tasting sugar, much the way an alcoholic’s brain would respond after tasting liquor. Stress often causes people to binge on sugary foods for that reason.
- Inexplicable Weight Gain: when the body senses sugar it releases insulin, but if too much sugar is consumed at once insulin levels spike. This results in a sugar-low and craving for more later. Artificial sweeteners have the same affect, but worse; the body never feels satiated by the sugar it thought it was going to receive. Try to feed sugar cravings with fruit, as the fiber they contain will help maintain insulin levels in the body.
- Brain Fog: sugar forms free radicals in the brain. This causes interference in the nerve cells’ ability to communicate and maybe even affect how well we remember instructions and process ideas.
- Aging Skin: sugar causes premature aging of the skin, like cigarettes and sun-damage. Sugar inhibits the skin’s ability to repair collagen and elastin breakdown from sun and free radical exposure.
Source: Marie Claire (July 2012)
July 9th, 2012
Instant Age-Fixing Routine
We all want to look younger and we want to do it instantly! While it may sound like an impossible idea, it is perfectly achievable if you are already taking good care of your health and skin, know the right “age-erasing” tricks and are using the right products!
Here’s how I start my “age-fixing” routine.
- I start off with moisturizing my entire face. When I want a more dramatic instant effect, I have my little trick: I actually use Coneflower Eyeline Firmer as a moisturizer around my eyes and also all over my face. Because of its Wrinkle Targeting Complex, it plumps my skin from the inside, making it appear dramatically firmer and smooth, while reducing the look of wrinkles (especially faux wrinkles).
- The next step when I want an instant improvement is Beyond the Balm, another special formula with the amazing Wrinkle Targeting Complex. As soon as I apply this vitamin-enriched, ultra-hydrating balm on my lips, they plump up within an hour, appear fuller and more luscious!
- The developing time of Wrinkle Targeting Complex is typically an hour. However, this may vary depending on how hydrated your skin is and whether you have any accumulated dead skin cells on the surface. The age-erasing effects of the Wrinkle Targeting Complex will last up to 8 hours.
- Then comes my primer, Invisible Foundation of Youth for Pores. I put this on to instantly for perfecting, texture refining and all-over smoothing of the skin. It really works wonders!
- And lastly, my foundation for flawless coverage and color to bring my skin alive, Foundation of Youth! Its light reflecting technology diminishes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles so well that I can’t believe the difference myself!
I encourage you to try our Special June Sale Promotion Diane’s Favorite Fixes, specially designed for “instant age-fixing’. Follow my “age-fixing” steps and see how they work for you!
July 6, 2012
Is Your Face Clean?
For smooth, glowing, healthy skin, we all need to clean our skin twice a day. During the day, pollutants in the air are falling on our face. In addition to dirt, grit and grime, oil rises up to the surface of our skin through our pores, attracting these pollutants. Furthermore, dead skin cells are forming as well. As we get older, instead of shedding, these dead skin cells hang on longer, giving our skin a dull, drab, rough appearance. So what should you do to keep your skin really clean? And what are the key points to keep in mind?
- We think that ‘soaping up’ and feeling our skin really tight and taunt after rinsing is a good way to keep the skin clean. This, however, is a myth. Overcleaning with harsh substances is extremely damaging, especially to maturing skin.
- Maturing skin should use a milky or creamy cleanser that is gentle and can be rinsed off with water or a damp washcloth. A creamy formula will dissolve dead skin cells, sebum (oil) in the pores and environmental pollutants without stripping or damaging the fragile skin surface.
- Cleansing with a milky cleanser will leave your skin moist, supple and glowing. All traces of makeup will be broken down and whisked away with this type of formula as well.
- Why do we need to clean our face again in the morning after thorough cleansing at night? Although we are not dealing with makeup and dirt in the morning, dead skin cells and oil accumulate in the pores throughout the night. A thorough cleansing will prepare your skin for your daytime regimen, allowing these products to better absorb.
- Exfoliation is the next step after cleansing; and should be done once or twice a week with a non-abrasive formula.
July 5, 2012
How Correct Posture Makes a Difference
Incorrect posture affects you in more ways than you might think.
Standing up straight is like drinking eight glasses of water a day: It’s great if you can do it, but it's not as though not standing in correct posture is a life and death matter.
In a review of more than 100 studies, scientists from UCLA found that poor posture is associated with breathing problems, falls, depression, and decreased quality of life. All of these decrease life expectancy.
One of the biggest contributors to slumping is weak muscles in the abdomen and back. "Even people who exercise regularly can have poor posture," says Lesley Powell, director and founder of Movements Afoot, a Pilates wellness center in New York City. "But if you practice good posture, it will carry over to your workout."
Try to remain active and strengthen your muscles. You can take up muscle strengthening exercises such as Pilates, yoga, and dance to target your legs and core. Don't let their gentle appearance fool you: They'll quickly strengthen the muscles you need to achieve good alignment.
Day & Night Anti-Aging Solutions Video
July 3rd, 2012
How Corn Syrup Affects Your Skin
High fructose corn syrup is used more commonly than you might think. Check the labels on some items in your refrigerator such as coffee creamer, soft drinks, salad dressing and even some yogurt brands. You will be surprised by how many every day foods contain this ingredient.
Aside from potential weight gain, excessive consumption of high fructose corn syrup can cause cellulite, acne, hyper-pigmentation and tooth decay. One of the major reasons for this is that our bodies do not recognize or process high fructose corn syrup. Corn syrup is made up of glucose and fructose, like sugar, but the ratio and bond between them is different, causing it to be absorbed into the bloodstream more quickly.
One nutritionist noticed when she took 90 percent of the high fructose corn syrup out of her patients’ diets that not only did their mood improve and their appetite decrease, but there was a noticeable improvement in pore size, cellulite, and skin appearance.
Source: New Beauty
July 2, 2012
Difference in Day & Night Creams
What is the difference in a day and a night cream? This is a question I get on a regular basis, and a crucial point to understand in order to take care of your skin in the best way.
Most of us are out and about, running around during the day. Our skin comes into contact with dirt, heat, humidity, and certain pollutants in the air. Not to mention the sun – one of the top skin enemies. It is hard for skin to keep a sufficient amount of moisture all by itself. The main thing we need during the day is protection from the sun and the environment. That is why we need to add moisture and/or help skin hold onto its moisture by using products specifically formulated for this purpose. Daytime moisturizers are lighter in consistency and have ingredients to shield us from the sun.
Nighttime, however, is a different story. We are inside and do not need to worry about the sun and other pollutants. While we sleep, our body is in the process of cleansing, healing, detoxifying itself, renewing all its systems – the best time for skin repair. Nighttime moisturizers are designed to go hand in hand with this healing process of our bodies. They are heavier and provide extra doses of moisture. Because we are not wearing makeup and our skin is clean, it can absorb the necessary moisture and oils much better. That is why we want to give skin a “treatment” while we are sleeping – with the products specifically formulated for these purposes.
Can a daytime moisturizer be used at night? Yes but there are certain key points to keep in mind. Daytime moisturizers – because they contain sun protection ingredients – can cause some skin irritations at night. While this is not a major issue(and that you can safely use your day moisturizer at night), the sun protection ingredients (which are potential mild irritants to the skin) don’t help the skin while you sleep. Why use a daytime cream - mainly designed to protect from the sun - when you have nighttime products designed to correct, treat and renew the skin?
And can a nighttime product be used during the day? Yes, especially if your skin is dry and needs extra correction. Keep in mind that night creams will almost always be heavier than your day cream. If you plan to use a night cream during the day for its extra hydrating properties, make sure to look for one that works with your makeup.