June 29, 2012
Why We All Need Facials Regularly
Regular facials can bring astounding, skin changing benefits. After 30 years of serving many clients who have regular treatments, I have been able to see these benefits.
Massage: The stimulating action brings blood - carrying oxygen and other nutrients - to the surface of the skin. This becomes especially crucial as we get older and our circulation slows down. Benefits are fresh, younger, better color.
Deep Cleaning: Not only deep cleaning of the pores - which is crucial - but also exfoliation of the skin surface. Dead skin cells make our faces look dull, gray and older. Whisking them away gets our skin glowing and our products penetrating more easily.
Hydration: Masks cause the skin’s own moisture to rise to the surface. When this is combined with our serums and creams, your more youthful, dewy skin emerges.
Deep Relaxation: Many of our clients feel that the deep restful sleep they go into during the treatment is priceless. I agree!
June 28, 2012
Our bodies change as we age. Our skin loses its elasticity, certain areas start sagging, and our metabolism slows down, leading to more trouble spots on our body. It is easier to cover up certain body imperfections with chic clothes and a style that flatters your body type. But what do you do when you have to be on the beach during these warm summer days? The real challenge is picking the right swimsuit for your age and body type as a swimsuit makes hiding trouble spots more difficult.
You can, however, find a figure flattering swimsuit by paying attention to style, color and areas of support.
One-piece swimsuits are the best choice for older figures as it provides a larger area of coverage, helping to camouflage sagging skin and belly fat. Another thing to pay attention to is the back. Look for a bathing suit that covers at least half the back; this style will support the skin and wrap around the body better to flatter the figure, compared to those with a fully open back.
Choose dark shades, such as black, navy blue or brown if you are looking for a solid colored swimsuit, because these will make your silhouette appear slimmer. If you are going for swimsuits with distinct prints and designs, stick with solids on the bottom and a bold pattern on top. This is because a bold, eye-catching pattern on the bottom part will make your backside appear larger. Stripe designs are a great stylish pick. You should, however, stay away from horizontal stripes, as they will make the body look wider. Wear vertical stripes as these create the illusion of a longer, slimmer body.
Also, look for is built-in breast support such as underwires, especially to avoid the look of sagging breasts. If your belly is a problem, wear a swimsuit with a supportive, firm but stretchy material to smooth and flatten this trouble area. As we age, our lower back will start showing signs of aging as well. Picking a swimsuit with a skirt will not only soften the signs of aging in the butt, hips and thighs, but also highlight your feminine style and fashion sense.
June 27, 2012
June 26, 2012
Boost Your Metabolism
As we age we lose muscle mass and are generally less physically active, as a result as we inch over 40 our metabolism slows down. Worse than that we have less energy and can turn to carbohydrates and sugar for a boost – now not only are we less active but we are increasing body fat.
Here are a few tips to fight this metabolic disaster:
- Start each day with a whey protein shake – this can boost your metabolism by 25%
- Exercise – try to do some kind of movement for one hour everyday. For an extra boost to your metabolism, lift weights 2-3 times per week. Our bodies lose muscle everyday, so by lifting weights we can try to counterbalance this and build muscle.
- Eat plenty of greens – to offset high-calorie foods and stop cravings before they start.
- Eat low-fat protein – choose high quality, lean proteins such as protein shakes, egg whites, fish and seafood, turkey breast, and non-fat cottage cheese. High-fat proteins will cause your body store fat.
- Supplements for a faster metabolism – taking the right supplements along with a healthy diet and regular exercise can help improve results. As always, you should consult a doctor before adding supplements to your diet. Some supplements to consider are fiber, raspberry ketones, L-Carnitine, and white kidney bean extract.
As always, we cannot say this enough, do not forget to drink your water.
June 25, 2012
Take Advantage of the July Sale
As many of you know, our semi-annual sales are in January and July. These sales are a great time to purchase basic products that you use daily. Many of you have been waiting for our July Sale and it is finally here!
All of our products (with the exception of a couple) are available at amazing sale prices until the end of July. It is smart to take advantage of these price incentives. The July Sale is great not only for saving money, but also because you have the opportunity to buy multiples of the products that you love for much cheaper. This way, they will last you for much longer too!
Another reason to take advantage of our sales is to try new products. Is there a serum you had heard of but just wasn’t sure about purchasing before? Is there any makeup formulas you would like to experiment with? Or a special cream that you would like to try? During the sale, the opportunities for this kind of experimenting are great.
Another perk of the sale? Keeping the sale prices all year long by signing up for Autodelivery! You can only join in January and July to keep the sale prices going throughout the year. How does this really work? You let us know which products you would like to add to your Autodelivery, how many of each you would like to receive and how regularly you would like to receive them. This way, you keep the sale prices of your favorite products all year long, receiving them for much cheaper and as regularly as you would like!
Better values, a chance to try new products, and an opportunity to keep the sale prices all year… Take full advantage of the July Sale.
June 22nd, 2012
Simple Steps to a Longer Life
Diane’s Golden Rules
- Get as much sleep as your body needs.
- Exercise regularly.
- Wash your hands frequently
- Eat a plant-based diet.
- Drink lots of water.
- Control stress.
- Avoid chemicals.
- Protect yourself from the sun.
More Steps for a Longer Healthy Life
- Add Red Foods to Your Diet Cruciferous veggies like red cabbage are known to help protect against cancer, while beet juice contains nitrates that relax blood vessels.
- Have One Cup of Black Tea per Day Research shows that 1 cup of black tea a day can boost survival rate following a heart attack by 28%.
- Take Steps to Workout Take the stairs instead of the elevator because this is an excellent healthy living decision.
- Stretch After a Hot Shower to Prevent Pain Stretching improves posture and prevents muscle soreness, keeping you feeling young and healthy. And it is best when muscles are warm, after a hot shower.
- Hold Your Breath Take a deep breath in, hold it for 10 seconds, and then slowly let the air out through pursed lips. This mini lung exercise helps to make sure that all the pockets in your lungs are opening up.
- Chew Your Food 20 Times Not only does scarfing down your food prevent you from truly enjoying the taste of your meal, new research links this habit to an increased risk of diabetes. Enjoy your food and prevent raising your risk of diabetes by eating each meal slowly and chewing each bite thoroughly, 20 times.
- Cut Your Cravings in Half to Cut Calories Instead of giving into temptation and eating a whole bag of chips or cookies, eat half of one serving.
Source: The Dr. Oz Show
June 21, 2012
Dress Up For Special Summer Occasions
Along with the warm weather and the beautiful nature, summer generally brings with it a host of social gatherings and special occasions. You might be going away for vacation, attending summer weddings, going to a Graduation, attending summer cocktail parties, or throwing a small get-together yourself…With all that on your list, it might become somewhat challenging to find what to wear – especially finding an elegant dress appropriate for the occasion and the summer heat.
Breezy fabrics should definitely be a top priority when considering summer dresses. Instead of tight fabrics that can be suffocating in the heat, go for flowing fabrics that do not cling but feel light and actually move with your body. The elegant movement of such dresses will allow you to feel comfortable, keep you cool and exude charm.
Look for chic dresses that have hints of sheer or lace fabric, as both these materials add class, appeal and sophistication. A popular way to incorporate sheer or lace is at the back of the dress.
As for shoes, you have a wide selection of summer sandals to choose from. Strappy sandals with high heels are a classic and never go out of style. T-strap sandals, sandals with ankle straps and wraps, sling-back sandals are only a few of the many stylish options available. If you prefer more comfortable shoes rather than high heels, you can go with a pair of elegant wedge sandals or a satin ballet flats in the same color palette as your outfit.
Although black is the ultimate “go-to” color - especially when choosing dresses for special occasions- make sure to look for vivid, bright, pop colors that are very “in” this year.
June 20, 2012
Ultimate Neck Makeover Video
June 19, 2012
Foods that Fight Cellulite
Along with a healthy diet, making sure to eat plenty of foods that hydrate the skin, build collagen and prevent fat storage, may help in the battle against cellulite.
- Stay hydrated – well hydrated skin will be plumper and healthier which will better cover the fat cells underneath. It is not just about the water that you drink. Try hydrating snacks like apples, grapes, and cucumbers.
- Choose colorful vegetables – they are loaded with vitamin C, which helps prevent collagen breakdown. When collagen weakens, skin loses elasticity and fat becomes more visible under the skin.
- Opt for whole grains – insulin spikes from refined grains causes the body to store fat rather than burn it off. Try to stick to whole grains which have more fiber and help to prevent insulin spikes.
Source: Self Magazine
June 18, 2012
Everything You Want to Know About Your Aging Neck
When it comes to taking special care of your skin, I know many of you are very good about your daily facial regimen. However, I also know that while you take care of your face to remain youthful, you might not focus on your aging neck and décolleté as much as you should.
The skin on your neck is more vulnerable than your face. It is thinner, it has fewer oil glands and it has gravity pulling down on it. You may have inherited a tendency towards a sagging neck because of the way you move the muscles as well.
Start using a neck cream that will keep your neck moisturized and address the problem of sagging skin. Your cream should be applied every morning and evening on clean skin. You may also want to consider sleeping on a flat pillow so that your neck is not affected during your sleep. Good posture will also improve the look of your neck and the way that it ages.
Your at-home regimen can be more thorough than just using a neck cream. Consider using a serum specifically for the neck. Apply under the neck cream day and night to boost the effects of the cream and improve the appearance of this area. You should also think about a product to gently exfoliate your neck. My personal favorite is exfoliating pads. I would advise that you exfoliate 2-3 times a week while you apply your serum and cream together twice a day. Expect to see results in 2-3 months.
If you want to consider a salon treatment to take special care of this area - I love microcurrent. Microcurrent is a stimulation of the muscles that support the skin on the neck, giving it a firmer, more lifted look. Multiple treatments are needed, and then a monthly maintenance treatment will continue the improved effect. This is not a substitute for surgery. It is simply a way to push back the clock and improve the look of an aging neck.
For those of you that need some help picking the right skincare products for your neck, I suggest considering this week’s special promotion Ultimate Neck Makeover Collection, which includes exfoliating pads specifically for the neck, a neck serum and a neck firming moisturizer.
June 15, 2012
De-Aging from the Cleveland Clinic
Looking for easy and nutritious ways that can help make you remain youthful and prevent the effects of aging? Here are four new anti-aging products from bees, broccoli, grapes and traditional Indian medicine.
Royal Jelly - An amazing rejuvenating substance, royal jelly is fed to select bee larva to promote their growth into queen bees. Power-packed with antioxidants, minerals and proteins, it can transform a normal bee into a queen. Imagine what it can do for you as an anti-aging supplement.
Studies show that royal jelly, with its abundant nutrient content, protects the skin from the damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation from the sun. Collagen can be stimulated to grow and abnormal coloring of the skin prevented. In addition, studies also show that taking royal jelly can help to lower the bad cholesterol, called LDL, and raise the good cholesterol, called HDL. By doing so, you now lower your risk for heart attack and stroke.
Royal jelly can be taken daily as a pill or eaten as the fresh jelly. Take 500 mg of the royal jelly capsule or a quarter-teaspoon of the fresh jelly daily.
Broccoli Sprouts - Broccoli sprouts are a delicious and easy way to reap the anti-cancer benefits of eating cruciferous vegetables. Broccoli has the most powerful anti-cancer fighting nutrients, sulforaphane and indole 3 carbinole, and the sprouts have this in a concentrated form. The sprouts look just like alfalfa sprouts and have a radish-like taste. Put them on salads and in sandwiches and prevent cancer every day with this wonderful food.
Grape Seed Extract - Untreated hypertension puts you at risk for heart attack, stroke, kidney and eye disease. But you can avoid this by taking a unique antioxidant supplement called grape seed extract. We all have heard of the anti-aging power of the grape thanks to resveratrol, an antioxidant found in the skin. However, the seed is also an anti-aging and heart-saving part of the plant. Studies have shown that it lowers both numbers in the blood pressure reading. Take just 150-300 mg of grape seed extract every day and keep your blood pressure at youthful levels.
Dry Brushing - Dry brushing is an easy and invigorating cleansing of the skin. Offered in spas, it can also be done at home. Dry brushing removes old dead skin cells, promotes new skin cell growth, encourages improved blood circulation to the skin and lymphatic fluid return to the heart. All of this helps remove toxins from the body and gives your skin a healthy glow.
To practice dry brushing, use a soft natural bristle brush. Begin at the sole of the feet and brush in a gentle circular motion up the legs toward the heart. Then brush from the hands up the arms to the chest, around the back to the front and again toward the heart. Dry brush 2-3 times a week before showering to promote youthful skin and the anti-aging effects of detoxing the body.
Source: The Dr. Oz Show
June 14, 2012
SPF: Sun Protection Fashion
We all know about the damaging and aging effects of the sun on our skin. We can use all the sun screen in the world; but for extra protection, we have to think "outside the bottle". That means wearing clothing and accessories that will protect your skin from the damaging UVA and UVB rays, in addition to applying sunscreen regularly– and why not turn your sun protection gear into an opportunity for fashion along the way?
If you are going to spend time at the beach this summer, take your sunglasses and some wide-brimmed hats along to protect your face. With many options in stylish sunglasses and chic hats, you can express your personal style and sophistication at the same time. Flowing tunics over your bathing suits are a great addition to your look as well. This year’s floral and graphic patterns, vibrant designs and pop colors show themselves splattered on beach tunics and many cover-up items, allowing you to protect yourself and show off your fashion taste at the same time. Do not shy away from taking a beach umbrella with you, so you can sit and enjoy the summer breeze without worrying about burn marks. And it goes without saying that sunscreen lotion is always a “must”!
If you are not going to be spending much time at a beach, aim for clothes that cover the majority of your body, covering sensitive areas like your shoulders and back. While this might worry you about feeling too hot, choosing clothes with lightweight fabrics will help keep your body at a cooler temperature. Make sure to always apply sunscreen on your face every day. Also throw your sunglasses and a hat into your purse to be sun-ready anywhere.
If you spend the majority of your day under the sun, we suggest looking into special sun-protection clothing. Designed especially for this purpose, these kinds of clothes contain UPF (ultraviolet protection factor) values, which span from 15 to 50-plus. The higher the value, the more the fabric absorbs UV rays and prevents them from hitting skin.
Keep in mind that darker hues are more protective. However, clothing companies have created bright, popping colors that are UPF-approved and in style this summer as well.
Instead of tanning and trying to get as bronze as possible, it is time to be really smart about the sun and cover up in really cute, fashionable ways.
June 13, 2012
Light Illusion Kit Video
June 12, 2012
Foods for Younger-Looking Skin
Top Vegetable: Romaine Lettuce
Six leaves contain more than 100% of the daily allotment of Vitamin A, which increase cell turnover in the skin. The potassium in romaine lettuce improves circulation.
Top Fruit: Strawberries
One cup of strawberries contains 130% of the daily allotment of Vitamin C, which boosts collagen fibers in the skin, which means smoother, firmer, less wrinkled skin.
Top Protein: Soy
Studies have shown that women in their 30s and 40s that consumed foods high in soy had fewer fine lines and improved skin firmness.
Top Nut: Almonds
Almonds are high in Vitamin E, which is important for skin health and moisture.
Top Fat: Cocoa made with Dark Chocolate
One study showed that women who drank half a cup of cocoa made with dark chocolate had glowing skin due to increased circulation. Over a 12 week period, women who drank half a cup everyday had softer, smoother and more hydrated skin.
Source: Today Health
June 11, 2012
Protect Your Aging Brain
The brain controls the body and our ability to think, communicate, move and function. For this reason, we should do our best to protect it in every way- including eating a balanced diet full of nutritious super foods.
Here are the top foods that can help protect your aging brain.
- Guacamole – is loaded with vitamin E which may help reduce cognitive delay in the elderly and improve coordination and balance. One large study found that it may help to decrease oxidative stress – a main culprit in brain related diseases.
- Curried lentils – curcumin (the active ingredient of turmeric) may help the brain by preventing Alzheimer’s. A major study found that turmeric may help to break apart amyloid beta in the brain (which may cause plaques). Lentils have also been identified to help with keeping the brain in optimal shape by providing a steady stream of glucose (the first fuel the brain utilizes for energy).
- Chia seed or salmon – are high in Omega-3 fatty acids and have been found to assist in keeping arteries in the brain clear of plaque. Omega 3’s also protect neurons and may prevent memory impairment as well.
- Strawberry, blueberry and spinach salad – a study in Journal of Neuroscience found that mice that were fed strawberry and spinach extracts had less of a cognitive decline than rats that were fed “regular” rat feed. The combination of these foods found a direct link to reversal of brain cell aging. Has a lot to do with how rich in antioxidants these foods are.
- Coffee – was found to protect to the brain in one large study by keeping the brain blood barrier intact and thus, helped to keep harmful cholesterol from damaging the brain. May improve short term memory as found in one study.
The Dr. Oz Show
June 8, 2012
Shrink Your Tummy
If your belly is a trouble region, there are plenty of effective and affordable supplements and foods you can try to help you lose that extra bulge.Whether caused by a slow metabolism or stress-eating, there are ways to shrink your belly. Here are four belly-blasting supplements that can help you feel better about your body.
- 7-Keto boosts your metabolism: 7-Keto is a natural byproduct of the DHEA hormone in our own bodies that helps to keep us young. But as we age, DHEA levels and its byproduct 7-Keto drop, slowing our metabolism and resulting in weight gain. 7-Keto works to counter this by stimulating the thyroid to permanently raise your metabolism’s set point, or your resting metabolic rate. Once this happens, your body burns faster, resulting in less weight gain and a trimmer belly.
Dose: Take 200mg a day. Take 100 mg in the morning and 100 mg at night – to maintain a steady amount of 7-Keto in your bloodstream throughout the day.
- Forskolin breaks down fat: Found in the roots of an herbal plant from the mint family, forskolin can help to promote the breakdown of stored fats in animal and human fat cells. It may lead to loss of body fat and, theoretically, increased lean body mass.
Dose: Take 125 mg in the morning.
- Caraway Seeds beats bloating:
In many ancient practices, caraway seeds have been recommended to treat gastrointestinal disorders. Rich in vitamins and minerals, caraway seed are a powerful digestive aid that helps eliminate gas. Bloating occurs when bad bacteria release gas in your intestine. Caraway seeds inhibit the growth of that bad bacteria and allow good bacteria to digest food.
Dose: Eat a handful of seeds after meals to stop gas from causing the bloating that makes your belly expand.
When you’re under stress, your body releases the hormone cortisol. This hormone makes your body store fat around your midsection. If you gain weight when you’re stressed out, relora as a supplement can help you tackle stubborn belly fat. Clinical studies show that Relora can help mitigate feelings of anxiety. Decreased levels of cortisol can lead to the prevention of weight gain, the loss of excess weight, and the reduction of stress eating.
Dose: Take 250mg of Relora three times a day – or one dose with every meal.
* If you are considering taking these or any other supplements, please consult with your primary care physician to determine what is best for you!
Source: The Dr Oz Show
June 7, 2012
Hairstyles that Help Lift Your Eyes
We all put a lot of time and effort taking care of our skin, and making use of makeup to visually erase the years and look a little younger. We moisturize, use serums and anti-aging creams to improve the texture of the skin. We add color to our face with concealers, foundations, bronzers and blushes. We highlight our eyes, brows and lashes with eyeliners, mascara, brow pencils. The list goes on…
But have you ever thought about the importance of your hairstyle in erasing the years? Did you know that the right haircut and style can help make you appear younger and lift your eyes?
For older women, one of the best hairstyles is a cut with face-framing layers with side bangs. This cut emphasizes and defines your beautiful eyes. A professionally styled cut like this with a lot of movement and soft highlights will help you look - and feel - playful and young!
Definitely consider layers, especially if you are keeping your hair long. Layers open and broaden the face, making it look fresh and uplifted while emphasizing and lifting your eyes. They also create softness, distracting from wrinkles and fine lines, making you look and feel youthful.
Lengthwise, shorter hairstyles have amazing face-lifting effects, really accentuate pretty eyes and are extremely feminine. Go for shorter upper layers to give height to the crown and more volume to mature, thin hair. Women with short hair also benefit from low maintenance with minimal styling.
With a medium-short haircut, cutting the hair a couple inches shorter in the back, leaving the front longer has the effect of an instant profile lift.
If your forehead is wrinkly, you can cover it up with bangs. Try regular bangs or those swept to the side, but make sure they are not too long that they cover up the beauty of your eyes. Nicely styled and cut bangs will definitely turn back the clock.
Because our jawline softens and our neck begins to wrinkle as we age, it is good to try a style that is just long enough to layer around your neck to take the focus away from this area.
June 6, 2012
Simple Steps to Ageless Eyes Video
June 5, 2012
Supplements for Weight Loss
Boost Your Metabolism: 7-Keto
- 7-Keto is a natural byproduct of the DHEA hormone in the body. As we age levels of DHEA and 7-Keto tend to drop, slowing the metabolism and resulting in weight gain. 7-Keto works to stimulate the thyroid and raise the metabolism.
- Dose: 100mg in the morning and 100mg at night to keep a steady amount in the bloodstream.
Break Down Fat: Forskolin
- Forskolin is found in the roots of a plan in the mint family. Researchers have found that forskolin can help promote the breakdown of stored fats in animal and human fat cells.
- Dose: 125mg in the morning
Beat Bloating: Caraway Seeds
- Caraway seeds have been used to treat gastrointestinal disorders since ancient times. Rich in vitamins and minerals, caraway seeds are a powerful digestive aid that helps eliminate gas and the bad bacteria that cause bloating.
- Dose: Eat a handful of seeds after meals to stop gas and help in digestion.
Reduce Stress: Relora
- When you are feeling stressed, your body releases the hormone cortisol, which causes the body to store fat around the midsection. Relora is a supplement made from plant extracts that can help decrease feelings of anxiety. If you tend to gain weight when you’re under stress, Relora may help you decrease levels of cortisol to prevent weight gain and also reduce stress eating.
- Dose: 250mg of Relora three times a day – once with every meal.
Source: The Dr. Oz Show
June 4, 2012
Vitamins for Beauty
I am a true believer in supplementing a great diet. What is a great diet? It is a plant based eating plan with pure supplements three times daily. Fill your plates with colorful veggies and be sure to include at least 3 oz of low fat protein three times a day. In addition to this kind of a diet plan, I take the following supplements with the approval of my primary care physician. This is part of my anti-aging supplement plan:
- A multivitamin with no iron or copper, and 100% of recommended daily requirements.
- 1000 mg of Vitamin D3.
- For dry skin - 1000 mg of Omega 3 fish oil and 1000 mg of black currant oil.
- For nails, hair, lines and wrinkles, and bones and joints, I take BioSil, a silicone based formula.
- To keep my brain going- so that it can continue to help me stay on my beauty and health regimen, I take 200 mg alpha lipoic acid and 500 mg of a acetal L-carnatine.
I love the Solgar brand of supplements and I have seen a major improvement of my skin, hair and nails using these supplements for 3 months or more.
Work with your physician to figure out the best health, diet and supplement plan for you; the results will amaze you!
June 1, 2012
Beauty On-The-Go For Travelers
Sample sizes are the perfect traveler. Try to find formulas that can do some multitasking. For example;
- Our Beyond the Balm is for your lips, but it is also great for other dry areas like elbows, cuticles and soles of your feet.
- Miraculously Younger Serum can also be used on dry arms and legs.
- Age Lift Cleanser not only works to take off daily dirt, grime and perspiration but also thoroughly cleans brows, lashes and lipstick.
- Juice of youth is a multitasking hydrating serum. It can be used all over your face including around your eyes and on your neck. It can also be sprayed on under or over makeup to rehydrate. It is perfect on airplanes.
- Un-wrinkle… What can I say? How many lines and wrinkles do we have in different places that we want gone, even if it’s temporary? Un-Wrinkle will do the trick! I have a friend who even uses it on her hands for special occasions.
My biggest tip came from a client many years ago who showed me how to use ziplock bags in different sizes for packing clothes. These bags are also very practical for your beauty products. Hair products in one, makeup in another and skincare in a third.
Have fun, happy summer!